Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves stucked in the open grass.  (Read 1050 times)

DwarfRaiden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves stucked in the open grass.
« on: May 20, 2011, 01:11:47 am »

***** spoiler alert ****

Hello, I'm new to this game, completed few tutorials and followed some video tutorials on youtube. I'm basically able to start up a fortress up to a moment when entering underground caves and getting magma for furnaces is needed. I'm confused by following situation:

My early fortress run out of booze and dwarves went to drink from a nearby brook. The brook has some carps in it, and the dwarves choose to venture to the other side of the brook. Then I got a couple of alert messages about cancelling the drink , and few moments later the dwarves cancelled their next choice of action as well. ( drop-off inaccessible). Later they tried to give water to each other but were lacking a bucket. Ever since then, the three unfortunate dwarves are standing still in the middle of the open space doing nothing. THeir happiness is 40 or so, and they might be close to death.

Any suggestions how to solve this problem without losing them?

DwarfRaiden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves stucked in the open grass.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 01:48:44 am »

A wooden bridge over the brook solved the problem.

In retrospective, I think that the dwarves ventured to the other side during a short period when the brook was frozen. Its strange though because it appears to be perfectly passable... Anyway, dwarves now drinking their wine and should be fine. For their bravery they are getting private bedrooms firsthand.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 08:46:12 am »

Just to clarify, it is impossible for that to have been a brook, as brooks in DF have walkable surfaces and it is impossible for large fish like carp to live in one.  What you have is a stream or river.

As for how your dwarves got on the other side of said river, my only guess is that those dwarves on the other side were a migrant wave that spawned on that side of the river, and you only noticed them when they started to get noisy.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 06:38:59 pm by gtmattz »
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

DwarfRaiden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 10:04:47 am »

Just to clarify, it is impossible for that to have been a brook[/b], as brooks in DF have walkable surfaces and it is impossible for large fish like carp to live in one.  What you have is a [url=http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Stream]stream or river[/url].

Indeed it is a river.

As for how your dwarves got on the other side of said river, my only guess is that those dwarves on the other side were a migrant wave that spawned on that side of the river, and you only noticed them when they started to get noisy.

I was right this time. Next winter, portions of the river got frozen, dwarves started to roam all over the place.
They weren't migrants as one of them was from original embark, that is why I wanted him to live so badly.

Mid-spring 253 and no deaths as of yet. Of course, I play with no invaders this one particular map, or there would be plenty...