Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Settling Along the Road  (Read 1070 times)

Ravenkana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Settling Along the Road
« on: May 26, 2011, 02:29:47 am »

If I were to do this, what could I expect, unique to this sort of embark?

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: Settling Along the Road
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 02:34:04 am »

I recall that the only thing you'd find is a road going from one side of the map to the other. I also recall that roads are constructed out of the "closest" material to the civ. Somehow I also remember that this leads to blocks being used, usually wooden blocks, which you can remove. Pretty sure the road doesn't have any function except easier travel for traders IF they decide to use it.

Ravenkana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 02:46:28 am »

I recall that the only thing you'd find is a road going from one side of the map to the other. I also recall that roads are constructed out of the "closest" material to the civ. Somehow I also remember that this leads to blocks being used, usually wooden blocks, which you can remove. Pretty sure the road doesn't have any function except easier travel for traders IF they decide to use it.
So it'd probably end up just being an aesthetic, then? Pity, was hoping it'd mean more traffic in terms of trading and goblin holidays.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 03:09:46 am »

If it's hilly or there's a river then quite often you'll find wooden bridges along the path.  I'm not sure if it's been fixed in the latest version or not, but these used to be extremely buggy and would extend out into nothingness and generally be very messed up.  They were/are a great source of hundreds of ready-made logs or blocks though, perfect if you intend to set up an above ground settlement for whatever reason.  I can just imagine the human traders cheerily travelling down their fancy new road when suddenly it turns into furrowed soil and there's a suspicious new building made out of exactly the same material as their missing road.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

whosayswhatnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 03:52:36 am »

If you want to have some fun with a roadblock then channel out all the edge tiles except those at the beginning and end of the road. Build a bridge at either end that needs to be down for caravans to get through it, leave one bridge (in) down. Build a fort spanning the bridge like a security checkpoint. Then when a caravan comes through you close the in bridge and open out when they are about to leave and they will leave via out Simulate traffic.

For bonus points. Smelt goblinite, make steel, make metal coins with it and ship them all out with dwarf caravans as offerings, which you always send back the way they came (The "Tolls" from your operations)

Pro mode: You seize all metal objects from human caravans (Customs officials etc.) melt them down, make coins and send them back to the dwarves.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 05:25:55 am »

Ahahaha! I just had a hilarious idea! :D
Once caravans and proper trading is implemented, to bring more trade to your settlement, just make a whole bunch of dummy fortresses, remove all the roads leading to other places and just leave the ones to your fort, possibly replacing the roads with traps.
Then everyone will bring their stuff to YOU! Muahaha! [/evil plan]
Bonus points for setting a dwarf named something like 'Dick Dastardly' as your expedition leader, and having him build a bogus signpost pointing to your fort.
Megabonus if that dwarf has a pointy black moustache and an evil laugh.
Oh, and a war dog named Muttley. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 10:15:41 am »

I once had a fortress with a 'deep road' in the first cavern.
The deep road could be found on the detailed map from Legends mode, and it ran between two goblin forts.

Again, - it had no practical value, but gave a nice character to the fort.
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 11:14:26 am »

3 words: dwarven toll booth.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • Prone to catastrophic apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 12:07:17 pm »

Two words: Dwarven TSA.
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 12:26:12 pm »

One word: magma.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o