Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarves are stupid  (Read 2320 times)

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
Re: Dwarves are stupid
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 10:29:04 pm »

I don't get screwups such as Dwarves channeling out areas that collapse because the other guy dug out the supporting wall below, or accidently trapping Dwarves in an enclosed space due to walling. My forts probably aren't as productive as some, but that's because i don't just designate an area to dig out or to put walls or whatever and be done with it, i look and personally make sure the orders i give don't end up with Dwarves taking permanent trips to the chute leading to the Magma sea Graveyard.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Tlc2011

• Bay Watcher
  • ..No idea what to put here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 10:48:37 pm »

I actually Facepalmed on a moment where i got my miner stuck in a hole...
During the first moments of the fortress. *headdesk* It was GOING to be the Dining Room.

kapusta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 11:34:30 pm »

Recently, I've taken a liking to flooding the first few levels above the surface with magma, creating magma lakes near entrances to my forts. This has lead to quite a few hilarious deaths due to dwarven stupidity (and clumsiness), e.g:

- Dwarves falling into magma lakes after fighting with capybaras
- Miners dying after breaching the walls of the volcano and waiting for magma to burn them alive
- Idlers standing near moving magma, not realising that it's moving towards them and going to cut off all escape paths

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 12:29:12 am »

I actually Facepalmed on a moment where i got my miner stuck in a hole...
During the first moments of the fortress. *headdesk* It was GOING to be the Dining Room.
...It's a miner. The sole Dorfs best suited for getting out of holes. Miners. Don't facepalm, give him some more digging orders.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 01:50:12 am »

If a miner is running panicking towards you, screaming: QUICK, URISTMCMASON, WALL THIS STAIRWAY OFF! MAGMA IS COMING!...you'd expect him to wall from the fortress-side, not from the magma-side...
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 06:27:20 am »

If a miner is running panicking towards you, screaming: QUICK, URISTMCMASON, WALL THIS STAIRWAY OFF! MAGMA IS COMING!...you'd expect him to wall from the fortress-side, not from the magma-side...
That's a beautifully hilarious mental image.

On a side note, to breach to magma while forcing the dwarf to RUN, give other orders while the job is in progress. If it's an engraver, set a large area for smoothing.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2011, 08:58:35 am »

Welcome to Dwarf fortress.
Pages: 1 [2]