Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help me find my perfect game =)  (Read 1701 times)

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help me find my perfect game =)
« on: May 28, 2011, 06:42:53 am »

I don't want to be an attention hog, but I find it increasingly difficult to find game settings which I like, hopefully you can support me.

I like small games: A handful of dwarves; micromanagement; resource scarcity.
I don't like: goblin sieges every damn season; against dozens of soldiers who I barely know, not to mention love.

How I want to achieve that:
Small embark, I have a great design for 2x1.
Prevent goblin attacks.
Danger is provided by embarking in an evil biome, in world with many titans.
My civilization shall be dead, but so I don't have to play 12 years to receive my first new dwarves after the second migrant wave, I want to mod children to become mature in maybe 4 years.

I'm looking forward to a fort where every dwarven life is precious, and a few legendary heroes defend the fort against a lone werewolf or a fearsome ettin. (I want to use more elegant solutions than 'population cap' and turning invasions off.)

Some questions I have:
Can I prevent goblin attacks by modding them friendly (maybe resulting in goblin caravans??) or do I have to turn invasion off?
I generated several worlds where the goblin civilization was down to maybe 50 members. Does that mean only up to 50 goblins will show up on my doorstep, and then they are extinct?
Do all dwarven civs need to be dead to prevent migrants, or only my own civilization?

And finally:
Do you have great ideas how to create a game experience which I will enjoy?
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help me find my perfect game =)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 06:49:23 am »

invasion off stops them, or take babysnatcher off goblins. I think in that case you would get caravans. As far as I'm aware invasions off also stops FBs and the like, so maybe modding goblins to be friendly (or take them out completely) is your thing to do.

Site visitors like sieges are generated randomly so it doesn't matter if there are hardly any goblins left in the civ, you can still get huge sieges.

If all dwarves are extinct you can't play fortress mode as them, so yeah, just go for one dead civ.

Unless you can always keep your pop below 20, in a resource poor game you may find yourself losing dwarves to moods because you can't get/trade for the stuff they want. Just be aware of that.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 06:57:25 am »

Goblins are active every season, you can change this in entity_default.txt to choose which seasons they "visit", so you get predictable yearly sieges. Up to you, just lettin' ya know.

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 07:50:55 am »

If you dont want goblins you can just remove them from raws. For population it might be better to embark with more dwarves using dfusion and leave maturity age alone. You can set low population cap to prevent migrations and start with live civilazation, it wont affect children births.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 08:22:15 am »

take babysnatcher off goblins. I think in that case you would get caravans.

BABYSNATCHER and ITEM_THIEF, yes.

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 12:01:38 pm »

Goblins are active every season, you can change this in entity_default.txt to choose which seasons they "visit", so you get predictable yearly sieges. Up to you, just lettin' ya know.
Wow, that is a powerful advice, thanks!

For population it might be better to embark with more dwarves using dfusion and leave maturity age alone.
Do you see any problems with reducing the maturity age?

take babysnatcher off goblins. I think in that case you would get caravans.

BABYSNATCHER and ITEM_THIEF, yes.
I only found  under goblins; [ITEM_THIEF] under kobolds.
So removing [BABYSNATCHER] from goblins will turn them into friendly, non-attacking creatures... AWESOME!!!

Thanks to everyone for your advice. =)
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 12:30:35 pm »

I thought BABYSNATCHER only stops the lone "snatcher" goblins appearing.

But, others seem to disagree and I've never tested this. It just seemed counter-intuitive to me. Looking through the raws I see no other tags that would affect it, so it must be the case, unless it's an ethics thing.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 12:41:43 pm by Reelyanoob »

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 03:03:44 pm »

I thought BABYSNATCHER only stops the lone "snatcher" goblins appearing.

But, others seem to disagree and I've never tested this. It just seemed counter-intuitive to me. Looking through the raws I see no other tags that would affect it, so it must be the case, unless it's an ethics thing.

[BABYSNATCHER] also forces constant warfare, and thus sieges. Without it, you can still generate a world where the goblins are at war with you, but it isn't forced.