Advanced search  

Author Topic: Old DF?  (Read 671 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Old DF?
« on: May 17, 2011, 08:44:42 pm »

I'm thinking about downloading one of the earliest versions of Dwaf Fortress, to get a feel for its start and for a change of pace.

1.) What was the first edition that was...minimally bugged?
2.) What major differences can you think of between that version and DF2010?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Old DF?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 09:04:53 pm »

0.23.130.23a was the final release of the 2D version;  I know Boatmurdered began on one of the preceding versions, 0.22.110.22f, and presumably continued up to 23a based on their description of what was going on.  As far as I know, barring some minor additional releases not listed on the Older Versions page, 23a would be the most fleshed-out and most polished version of the 2D game.

Major differences, of course, are best described by reading Boatmurdered and looking over the archive of the 23a wiki.  One of the things I do like about it was the nobles, to be honest; having to please a whole boatload of them could be a challenge in and of itself.  HFS was way, way different and I'm glad it was changed in future versions (although the current stuff does have some parallels to the old-school one).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 09:08:21 pm by Vercingetorix »
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Old DF?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 10:04:51 pm »

major differences.... well there's no healthcare system, the world is flat, elephants will wage bloody wars upon your fort if they are within eyesight of it... the list goes on.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.