Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New player, weaponsmithing problem - Need More Iron Bars (Bug maybe?)  (Read 1460 times)

Sir Leonard III

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm new to the game, started playing about three days ago. Anyway, I've been using the wiki for the basics, nobles, prison, hospital, etc. Today I tried creating an iron weapon, because I got a couple new migrants for my army. When I ordered a sword to be made everything goes well, then a message pops up, "Urist McWeaponSmith cancels Forge iron short sword: Needs iron bars."
I checked my stock and made sure I had iron bars, and that they were unforbidden. They were so I tried again, same message.
Any reason why this could be happening? Do I need more iron bars? Help would be appreciated.

I'm not sure this is a bug or not so I didn't post it in the bug section of the forums.
Hush little baby, listen to my song,
Mamma's gonna tan you a troll leather thong.
And if that thong don't menace with spikes,
Mamma's gonna kill you whatever you like...

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did you use the Stock Screen or did you check with "k" on the stockpile.
The Stock screen is not always up to date, depending on the efficiency (or laziness) of your bookkeeper.
Was the iron in reach? I once managed to block an path in my fortress with a workshop set in a small hallway.
The darfs could not pass the hallway anymore :)

Usually weapons need 1 fuel and 1 metal bar (unless you use magma forges, then you can scrap the fuel).

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile

Welcome to the forums, and to the game  8). I'm going to assume you're playing a fort in the current version (31.25); if so, all metal item require only one bar to be forged for now. Are the bars fully accessible to your forge and your weaponsmiths? And did you already check with tab on the bars category in the z -> stocks menu if the iron bars were in cyan? They could have been used accidentally to build a wall or a construction.

Sir Leonard III

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I checked with the z ---> Stocks, then scrolled down to bars and made sure I had at least one.
My book keeper is currently doing the best job he can, and I haven't crafted anything out of metal in a long time. And, yes, everything is accessible. My fort is rather simple, main floor, huge stockpile and then everything else.
I'm going with this being a bug, any other possible reasons?

Wow, I figured out the problem. The iron bar was made into a bridge...
And I thought I had the basics of the game down. You learn something new every day.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 06:08:00 pm by Sir Leonard III »
Hush little baby, listen to my song,
Mamma's gonna tan you a troll leather thong.
And if that thong don't menace with spikes,
Mamma's gonna kill you whatever you like...

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If it is a bug, it is a strange one, I think it would have been as notable as to come up first in everyone's mind, but generally the metal industry is not all that bugged.
So maybe its a bug but other possibilities first:
Maybe you have iron bars, but they are forbidden or designated for a task which has become suspended.
How did you order the job to be made directly through the workshop or through the manager screen--try both and see if one carries through
Do you have other things you might be using the iron for?
Do other metals work fine?
Sorry if it persists, seems like a tough break, although iron makes subpar weapons anyway ;)
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow, I figured out the problem. The iron bar was made into a bridge...
And I thought I had the basics of the game down. You learn something new every day.
It was numbered in red wasn't it?

callahan.44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

if you go on the Stocks menu and press Tab it lists every item individually.
iron bar would have shown it was used in a construction.. pressing z would have zoomed to the bridge.
"I had it all. I had a fortress that was very decent, a military that was getting very respectable. I was close to being complete."
"Shit man, now it's all gone."

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have to add a disclaimer to the magmaforge: It doesn't need an fuel, except for making steel and pig iron bars, which always need 1 fuel as part of the reaction.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile

I have to add a disclaimer to the magmaforge: It doesn't need an fuel, except for making steel and pig iron bars, which always need 1 fuel as part of the reaction.

Except that in this case. the coal is not being used as fuel, but as part of the actual alloy (steel is an alloy of carbon and iron after all).
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know how the reaction works, but the carbon (coke/charcoal) is commonly called "fuel", therefore I see not nothing wrong with my post :)
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The only thing I can think of that will cause failure would be no available iron bars in his burrow.  Check that he can path to it, and that it is in his burrow.  Also make sure that the iron isn't forbidden or used in another construction.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile

I am also having "fun" with the stock screen recently. Is there a table somewhere explaining what the different colors and symbols mean? Like, "worn by someone", "forbidden", "somewhere on the ground", ecc....
Naked dwarves remove the need to produce more clothing, which means more of your pig tails can be brewed into booze.
I think this is less a problem and more an expression of dwarven priorities.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am also having "fun" with the stock screen recently. Is there a table somewhere explaining what the different colors and symbols mean? Like, "worn by someone", "forbidden", "somewhere on the ground", ecc....

blue is built into a sctructure
red is rotten or owned by merchants
magenta is forbidden or designated for dumping
gray is foreign, brown is homemade.
Worn items are not specifically highlighted.

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile

*AWESOME*.

Is this _vital_ piece of information somewhere in the Wiki?
Also, can I browse the stock screen filtering any of the above?
Naked dwarves remove the need to produce more clothing, which means more of your pig tails can be brewed into booze.
I think this is less a problem and more an expression of dwarven priorities.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*AWESOME*.

Is this _vital_ piece of information somewhere in the Wiki?
Also, can I browse the stock screen filtering any of the above?
Yes, certainly
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:stocks#Color_Code
Don't know about filtering i think you can not.