Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slightly new to Adventure Mode  (Read 2446 times)

Griffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Slightly new to Adventure Mode
« on: May 12, 2011, 09:35:33 pm »

So I just started playing adventure mode a week or two ago and its been great "fun". Already lost a number potential adventurers, but I've killed some serious bandits and kobolds along the way.

Anyway, I use to have a fortress in the same world and I want to find it, but I have no idea how to. If I spawn as a human, it is usually in my Sites list, but since I can be a dwarf why would I want to be a human? The unfortunate part is if I spawn as a dwarf, the fortress, Soulsbolted, is not in my Sites list so how could I go about finding it then as a dwarf?

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Re: Slightly new to Adventure Mode
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 10:10:00 pm »

Get a Copy of the World Map using Legends.

Then, make a game as the Human, and locate it on the map. Mark the location on your Map using MS Paint or something.

Kill the Human, become a Dwarf, and manually Navigate to it.

Hope that helps.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 01:11:50 am »

What chilton said.

When at the fortress, make sure to grab TONS of the best quality/material bolts you can.

And spears.

If you thought that throwing rocks, vomit and body parts was deadly, wait till you see what you can do throwing a masterwork steel spear.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Dwarf Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • T' bread wi't edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 09:46:50 am »

The reason you're not seeing anything as a dwarf is because different races start in different parts of the map and I think the sites thing only shows nearby sites at first, upgrading to further away sites as you come across them. Best guess is the human civilisation is near your fort while your dwarf one isn't.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 06:32:41 pm »

I actually find it easier to start up in fortress mode and find it on the embark screen using Reclaim (which will take you directly to it), then I just abort fortress mode and start adventure mode. Making a screenshot sounds like a good idea. Then just use the overview map on fast travel to figure out approximately where on the world map you spawn and head toward the fort.

Griffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 10:13:32 pm »

well i've found it sorta, the unfortunate part is i have to cross basically an vast desert region filled with giant scorpions and bandits to get to it. The fortress was built on a sort of island continent and the dwarven settlement is on the other side. It does have a small land bridge to a larger continent, but it is basically Australia in DF form. And it is nearly impossible to cross

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 07:50:10 pm »

In the latest versions, with the dwarven civilzations home forts being just non existent, a dwarven adventurer will appear near the closest human settlement. Which is poop. Best way to create a fort to explore, is to make several adventurers, same civ, noting the area where they spawn. Create a fort there. You might have to deal with a aquifier, but once done, will have a nice storehouse of equipment, for your adventurers. As a bonus, you can trade for human armor, equipment, for your human adventurers.
 To help with finding stuff, make up some metal bins, store the goodies, especially the blue stuff in them. They have a tendency to not get scattered. If you have df hack, can also reequip your archer henchmen from bolt supplies
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration