Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin areas  (Read 1040 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Goblin areas
« on: May 03, 2011, 04:20:23 pm »

Hey there. I'm getting beat up by Goblins in Fortress Mode (this thread), and I'd like to know if I abandon my fortress, I can get my adventure-ready-adventurer to climb the mountains and kill their friggin general?
I don't know how many people died already, and they already snatched 3 babies.

I really want to get personal on this, but.. will it work?
I know all races, except humans, regions are not 'loading'/appearing, but will they appear on the map if I get there, or there is no other way for me to raid them in Adventure Mode?

I'll try it when I get back, in some hours.
Thank ye!
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Alestom

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Scotsman
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin areas
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 04:52:31 pm »

I am not one for fortress mode but I think that it does work..... I don't really know if your adventurer will be welcomed by your dwarfs...... also, Raiding goblins is pretty useless, you will get shot/stabbed/slashed/kicked/punched/bitten/scratched/wrestled to death within a few seconds if it is a war party.....
If I had my time again, I know Id be a fighting man

In far Malay or Vietnam, Though I am more a lover

Tyius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 06:49:37 pm »

Only ever seen goblin bandits.  Never seen goblin general.  So probably not going to be able to track it down.  Could just have cages and serrated disks catch/kill him.
The murders are for their own good. I regret none of them. All were sound decisions made to balance the scales in favor of prosperity.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 08:33:15 pm »

If the goblins are at your fortress, you could use DFmode to change to adventure mode, then make an adventurer and travel to your fort. BUT, save your game first! This could seriously screw up! :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 10:36:09 pm »

I guess I will take the shot and abandon the fortress to see if I can find any goblins around.
Just hope I don't get owned if I DO find their group...

Thanks for the advice, I will get blood for Armok now, bwhahaha!
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
  • Haus cancels Write paper: Taken by Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 11:11:29 pm »

If you get owned, just send more adventurers.

Also, what is the general consensus on DFMode? I haven't tried it out yet, but visiting a fortress in adventure mode without abandoning sounds awesome.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 04:18:09 pm »

Hmm I will do a mini-necroing here, but can anyone provide a link for "DFMode"? What I found using search was a bit confusing :z

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 06:13:05 pm »

It's a tool in the DFhack mod, which is significantly easier to find.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58809.0

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 07:31:51 pm »

Yep, and in my experience it works pretty well.
To "retire" a fort, so that you can visit it and hang out with your dwarves, I just switch the mode to... Well, I usually choose 'adventure mode' and 'direct control', but I imagine I'm doing it wrong. :P
Then the game freezes for a few minutes, and spits you back out at the main menu, from where you can create an adventurer and go visit your still-populated fort. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to work out how to stop all your items scattering on retiring it, but I'm sure someone like Rumrusher would know how.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

callahan.44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 05:58:58 pm »

dflair will stop everything being scattered on a reclaim, or make sure everything is nailed down or in heavy bins.
"I had it all. I had a fortress that was very decent, a military that was getting very respectable. I was close to being complete."
"Shit man, now it's all gone."