Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Elves led by a drunk  (Read 3706 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Elves led by a drunk
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 09:00:27 pm »

It's alright.  This is Dwarf Fortress.  Context will not save you.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 11:27:19 pm »

Is that how dwarven construction methods work?  I've been wondering how a chalk wall can resist a flood of magma, and how dwarven fingernails can dismantle a steel floor.  They must augment the construction with beard hair and liquor!  They don't actually consume the majority of the alcohol, they just store it in their bodies, reconstituted by intricate Liver Operations and later re-applied to produce goods and construction.  This is how they work the stone without tools, they use their Booze Glue pouch and squirt liquid cement onto the stone.  Similarly, the Booze Acid gland allows them to smooth and engrave stone.

It also explains why dwarves without booze tend to get lazier and lazier =D
as their inner booze resevoirs start to run low, they can't do nearly as much work!, its not (just ) because they're lazy =P
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

phoenixuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 03:12:26 am »

I love that my topic degenerated into a discussion regarding the advance biological construction method of dwarves, but... could someone answer my other question? The one about having no leaders in my dwarf civ, will that prevent me getting a king permanently?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 03:31:26 am »

I believe so.  Sounds like your civ is dead.  Are you getting any caravans or migrants?

phoenixuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 03:35:04 am »

I'm getting caravans and i'm getting migrants (my population is currently 236, and i'm a barony with 10345883 created wealth)
I'm in the process of digging past the magma sea to get to the cotton candy, but still no king :(

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 04:05:51 am »

I'm getting caravans and i'm getting migrants (my population is currently 236, and i'm a barony with 10345883 created wealth)
I'm in the process of digging past the magma sea to get to the cotton candy, but still no king :(
The king for your might have died recently, I guess.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

sjaakwortel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 04:39:16 am »

my dwarven civ is even run by a drunk, noting special here move along
Quote from: Greep on May 08, 2010, 07:55:20 pm
do dwarves move any slower when using the stairs?
Compared to falling? Yes.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 04:51:54 am »

Well technically, it takes several days to dismantle some walls.  Consider the timespan in fort mode.  Also, if so inclined, you could add an attack for the beard, but it would be rather limp and ticklish according to the raws.
Time to mod beard hair then.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2011, 06:40:36 am »

Wow! dude, sont get him angry or you will get an ambush with him in the lead. GUARD THE BOOZE!!!

Greyejoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 07:35:02 am »

Wouldn't the concentrated booze in their systems cause them to explode when they get near fire or magma? Can this be modded in for a new challenge towards metal working? 
If you had necromancy powers, this would be a pretty solid way to prank people.
A creepy old man runs up to you and suddenly the skin in your backpack tries to kill you? High Octane Nightmare Fuel much.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2011, 08:14:16 am »

I can beat that - back in 40d, I had a fortress where my civilization had a "High Priest/Goblin Drunk".
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2011, 12:48:23 pm »

I can beat that - back in 40d, I had a fortress where my civilization had a "High Priest/Goblin Drunk".
A drunken goblin priest? In a dwarven civ?
I sense...
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 12:21:24 am »

A drunken goblin priest? In a dwarven civ?
I sense...

Can't it be that dwarves are just overly drunk goblins? They swell from massive liver damage, their skin reddens, their livers increas in size and they die promptly after becoming a dwarfs - what's 160 years for a creature that would otherwise be immortal? This priest just haven't completed his transformatrion yet!
EDIT: "He'll be true dwarf faster than we finish off that barrel, i swear you Urist!"
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 12:22:56 am by nanomage »
Pages: 1 [2]