Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hungry cow?  (Read 872 times)

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
Hungry cow?
« on: May 10, 2011, 08:54:58 pm »

Been a while since I've played but I've come back recently, and during play come across a Cow with the down arrow indicating hunger. Now, I have my dining room set as a meeting hall, so all the animals herd into there >.> I'm not sure how exactly I am to feed my cow...

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Hungry cow?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 08:58:38 pm »

It needs to feed on grass.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 08:59:01 pm »

Make a pasture.

On grass of some sort.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 09:03:05 pm »

Best advice?  Either mod cows to not eat (simply remove the grazer tag) and/or wait until Toady adds grass harvesting.  We're supposed to be able to make bundles of grass/hay, but we currently cannot, and this leads to trouble with animals.  They will eat grass if pastured upon soil, and this includes cave grass, but you need a fair sized area for real cattle.  Dwarves will sustain a whole fort on 3x3 farm, a single cow can consume a 5x5 pasture.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 09:18:46 pm »

i -> make a giant zone (20x20 should work)
n -> N ; assign the cow to the pasture

Many or most medium-to-large mammals now starve (notable exceptions being the cat and dog), so pastures need to be established for livestock. They obviously need to be on grass, as cows can't live off of dirt.

Here's the Wiki article (may or may not be helpful)
Here's the best post I could find on this (very useful, but rather technical and unnecessary)

But really, all you need to know is that livestock starve, so you need to make pasture zones for them.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 09:23:24 pm »

Animal husbandry is a nightmare now. If you want to stay sane, stick with the smaller , shearable grazers, sheep, alpaca. Anything cow sized, or larger, is too much trouble without modding. Unless you want a pet moose, which is understandable. Get critters that provide wool, milk, and need less a grazing area. Then butcher yearlings often, when the flock reaches the size you want. Silence of the alpaca's, lol.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration