Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Iron ores + aquifiers  (Read 1889 times)

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Iron ores + aquifiers
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 12:02:29 pm »

So, you smash some soil layers onto a metal vein in the middle of your aquifer, and the aquifer is removed, but the ore remains? Interesting.

I'd still do it as I wrote above, because it requires more micromanagement and should look prettier when done.  :p

No, you smash out the area AROUND the metal veins, then dig out the veins themselves.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 03:38:16 pm »

The pump method and the cave in method are both easy to master with some practice (particularly for a one or perhaps two level aquifer, more then that and it gets trickier, particularly for the cave in) and will open up all sorts of options for you.

-MB

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 05:45:04 am »

How can you rig a support to collapse it via a lever? You can really connect a lever to a column carved out from a wall, or how else do you do?
Or perhaps this support is not a column, but something else I am not familiar with?
Naked dwarves remove the need to produce more clothing, which means more of your pig tails can be brewed into booze.
I think this is less a problem and more an expression of dwarven priorities.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 05:55:10 am »

Look at the menu carefully. You'll see that you can build a support with (yes, shift+s, not just s). A support is essentially a wall, except there isn't a walkable floor on top of that (you'd need to build thet yourself), and it can be collapsed when linked to its proper lever/pressure plate.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 10:51:18 am »

Look at the [b] menu carefully. You'll see that you can build a support with [S] (yes, shift+s, not just s). A support is essentially a wall, except there isn't a walkable floor on top of that (you'd need to build thet yourself), and it can be collapsed when linked to its proper lever/pressure plate.
Fixed. You guys need to watch your bbcode.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 11:37:46 am »

I seem to recall reading a comic where they did that...

He carved out a giant floating pillar (one support) and then dug down to the aquifer, clearing out enough space for the giant drillbit to hit the bottom cleanly. After dropping it, he had a rocky cylinder to dig a passage downwards through. It worked, too. Is that what you guys are talking about?

This is a drill to pierce the heavens earth!
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!
Pages: 1 [2]