Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Military Training rate and Fortress arena questions!  (Read 3479 times)

gooberboy9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Question #1:  My dwarves are training amazingly slow.  I do not want to send twenty novice McAxeDwarves out to take on the goblin siege sitting outside when they're all wearing leather armor and half of them will have wooden weapons(I can't find iron ANYWHERE on my map, and have only traded enough to make weapons for 10 dwarves).  It's been over 2 years and most of them haven't gone past novice.

How can I speed this up?

Question #2: I want to make an Arena, so I can have one dwarf level up his killing skills faster by killing unarmed goblins and other creatures.  However every time my dwarves try to drag a cage it somehow magically opens and the baddies pop out, how do I avoid this? 

I have the arena area built(two z-levels, bottom = where my dwarf will fight, and the top was SUPPOSED to be where they were tossed in + seating for dwarves to watch if they felt like it).  But no idea how to get the baddies there safely.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Military Training rate and Fortress arena questions!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 08:48:53 pm »

Use squads of 3-4, with training for 2 at a time.  At the default 10 training at a time, the squad spends all of their time standing in the barracks waiting for Recruit #10 to show up, as they won't start without a full group.  Set the requirements low, and it'll be much easier to get a few dwarves on-hand.  It also encourages sparring, the holy grail of training methods.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 09:45:33 pm »

To help increase weapon skills, remember, individual training improves them. That occurs normally under months under either schedule, with no orders. Under active schedule, no orders, individ training takes preference over work. Under inactive, no orders, work takes preference. Decide if you want full military, or militia, and assign them to either of the corresponding schedules. Inactive schedule is like the national guard. Active schedule is full time military, or activated national guard units. To spar, they need military skills, which individ training provides. Training months, under either schedule, provides refresher courses for skills, teaches new ones, and provides sparring. Till you can arm, armor your troops, be a evil dwarf, and use traps, archers to your advantage, and trade for all the good armor, weapons you can get. Lure them in, wipe them out. Use prisoners for training. When you have your squads in good shape, unleash revenge on them, muwaaaahs
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 10:09:27 pm »

For a part time military, I've had luck making my soldiers into farmers, brewers, or butchers/tanners, as well as some furnace workers and such.  These are part-time jobs where quality doesn't matter a whole lot (except farming, and I usually have a few dedicated farmers on top of the militia) so they'll do a task as needed, but otherwise train in their spare time.  If the farms are full, they go train.  The farm is harvested, they plant a few seeds and go train some more.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 11:03:54 pm »

What I do:

-two dwarves per squad
-always active/training

You mainly want to maximise the amount of sparring they do as it's the fastest method of training. Soldiers will only spar when active/training and smaller squads increase the amount of sparring they do.

urick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 11:18:09 pm »

The caged gobbo is in your animal pile. Build his cage next to your arena. Strip it with d-b-d on the built cage.  Designate a pit zone in & by your arena. Assign gob to the pit.

I haven't had one escape yet. I don't know if I am just lucky.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 11:29:53 pm »

for the high investment(/fun) high reward strategy, you could go with danger rooms...
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds