Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven Science Spilling into Real Life?  (Read 3848 times)

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Science Spilling into Real Life?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 03:43:45 am »

Why no, this doesn't sound like a bad science fiction plot opening sequence whatsoever!  :D

Anything that takes the world one step closer to a science fiction B-movie is something that, in my opinion, should be wholly supported.

I support your support.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 06:20:30 am »

I have a whole new respect for mushrooms.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 10:50:30 am »

This is clearly awesome. That said the snarky side of me can't help myself.

This is a great B movie plot isn't it? I mean think about it:

The mushrooms eat radioactivity; you can build with them, eat them, and god knows what else. It's probably medicinal too, or something. Let's say... you can make a vest out of it so it helps Cancer patients deal with radiation treatments. We put this stuff everywhere. Everywhere....

Then they reveal they are intelligent and nuke the whole planet because they are hungry. :P
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 09:16:10 pm »

Interesting. It doesn't destroy the radioactive  material, but its like a lead mushroom... and it grows on it... How much does this thing block, anyway? Must be dense.

Could these be useful in space-station-mounted farms that take waste (sewage, etc.) in and produce food/fuel and water vapour and a fuel/food source? And you could put solar panels on the outside without blocking the energy for the plants...

If you are really clever, you'll have your space station in layers with the crew in the center, followed by life-support pipes/wires/etc, then a fungus farm layer as a combined recycling/radiation shield, then solar panels on the outside...

I knew melanin was natural radiation shielding, at least for near UV, but I didn't know the energy could be harnessed. Oh, the possibilities.

And I know it wouldn't destroy nuclear waste any faster, but it could have its spores (if they were long-lived enough) introduced into waste storage areas where the growths of fungus would pinpoint leaks and slow them down from the radiation being absorbed...
Pages: 1 [2]