Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Disney World  (Read 1234 times)

KhazâdAimênu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Disney World
« on: May 12, 2011, 07:20:57 pm »

So, I recently visited Disney world, and when looking over the guide maps was struck by the fact that some of the parks wouldn't make too bad above-ground fortress designs (single entry point, paths limited by water, areas able to be effectively sealed from one another...is this a sign that I think about DF too much?). The Magic Kingdom, in addition to having a castle in the middle, is built on top of a network of tunnels, and has a number of attractions that seem to lend themselves to dwarfification. So, I want to make a thorough copy of the Magic Kingdom park, in DF. Has anyone done anything like this before? I think I'm going to give it a shot, anyway, though it'll take a while because I don't get all that much time to play.

What I had in mind was that I'd embark on a hot, serene/joyous wilds, tropical freshwater swamp. I haven't decided whether to build the entire park on the second story, which would be the most realistic, or put the tunnels in the first soil layer. My "cast members" (dwarves) would mostly live in the tunnel system, except for the "costumed characters" (armored military). The "guests" (goblins) would be drawn to the "attractions" (trapped buildings with openable access to dwarves/meeting areas), where they would have "lots of fun" (be horribly slaughtered). So far, the attractions I've got figured out are:

The Haunted Mansion: fortress crypt, some carefully arranged ghosts, axe-equipped weapon traps...

Splash Mountain: waterfall landing in spike traps

Space Mountain: bridge catapults

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (so what if it isn't there anymore): drop them in the water, let the modded Giant Freshwater Squid deal with them

That's all the attractions I've figured out so far, but I'm planning more. Suggestions?

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Disney World
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 07:37:42 pm »

Needs magma.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 07:44:48 pm »

Mr. Giant Toad's Wild Ride - an unarmed, unarmored goblin is released into a small track via being pitted. Shortly after, a lever is thrown releasing a Giant Toad in a cage shortly behind him. Cue Benny Hill music.

It's a Size 500 World After All - an entire tour group of goblins is released into a lengthy tunnel that is sealed off behind them. The entire tunnel is lined with various traps linked to levers, which are located in a room full of Gremlins.

KhazâdAimênu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 07:51:50 pm »

Needs magma.

Hmm. Ordinarily I would agree, and I certainly intend to make use of it for smelting and forge purposes, but I'm having difficulty fitting it in to one of the attractions...

Well, I could always just dump them into it at the end of Pirates of the Caribbean. They do light the town on fire. Close enough for magma work. There can even be a chained up dog near a pressure plate that might (but probably won't) let them escape the incoming magma

Mr. Giant Toad's Wild Ride - an unarmed, unarmored goblin is released into a small track via being pitted. Shortly after, a lever is thrown releasing a Giant Toad in a cage shortly behind him. Cue Benny Hill music.

I like that quite a bit, except I wasn't planning on capturing and stripping them first - I wanted them to be able to just enter the park. Perhaps with a weapon trap at the end that can take a modded "train" blunt trap component, if the toad isn't fast enough/gets killed.

It's a Size 500 World After All - an entire tour group of goblins is released into a lengthy tunnel that is sealed off behind them. The entire tunnel is lined with various traps linked to levers, which are located in a room full of Gremlins.

I like this one too, but I'm not sure how I'm going to get that many gremlins. I've only gotten one, once, in a bunch of fortresses. They're semi-intelligent, aren't they? Doesn't that mean there would be problems making them domestic, i.e. buyable at embark?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 07:56:35 pm »

Toady One's Wild Ride - an unarmed, unarmored goblin is released into a small track via being pitted. Shortly after, a lever is thrown releasing a Giant Toad in a cage shortly behind him. Cue Benny Hill music.

Fixed it for ya.

Don't forget the Pirates of the Fondled Waters- Tour the history of the pirates of the ship that toured that sea; with your guide "Beardless Bob".

Dumbo's Flying Circus (the flying carousel)- Elephants and bridgapults, and your visitors mount on them before taking off.

Alien Encounter (Now a Stitch exhibit)- Small room, plenty of chairs, visitors, and a caged FB linked to a lever. Have fun guests.

Since watching the Modern Marvels on Disney parks, I have thought that those parks would make such great forts, provided the effort behind them as well.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 08:02:00 pm by Itnetlolor »

KhazâdAimênu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 01:08:29 am »

Dumbo's Flying Circus (the flying carousel)- Elephants and bridgapults, and your visitors mount on them before taking off.

I like the idea, but elephants stop bridges from working. Something similar, though.

Alien Encounter (Now a Stitch exhibit)- Small room, plenty of chairs, visitors, and a caged FB linked to a lever. Have fun guests.

This I'm definitely doing. Bonus points if the FB is either a giant six legged crab with curved horns, wings, and a gaunt appearance, or a six legged dog that squirms and fidgets - beware its deadly spittle!

Since watching the Modern Marvels on Disney parks, I have thought that those parks would make such great forts, provided the effort behind them as well.

Yeah, it's probably going to take a while, because I want it relatively to scale and as faithful as is reasonable. My first real megaproject!

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 06:19:35 am »

IASWAA--Goblins get dropped into a chute, where they land in a passage filled with nothing but the most horrible, annoying, ear-splitting terrors known to dwarfkind... elves, berating you for their lack of trees, and every single cat in the fortress, meowing and screeching in your ears.  And a single device set to play the MOST ANNOYING F&*@$^NG SONG IN THE ENTIRE F&*@$^@G MULTIVERSE.  And there are no traps or magma or any way to kill yourself.  The goblins are just trapped there.  Forced to listen to this.  FOR ETERNITY.

That, or just BURN THE ENTIRE SPOT THAT THE RIDE SHOULD BE IN WITH MAGMA UNTIL THERE'S NOTHING LEFT BUT A 100 Z-LEVEL PIT IN THE SPOT.

Yes I hate the ride.  Why?

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 08:06:38 am »

You can certainly replicate the dwarven tendency to vomit when exposed to sunlight with a supply of dwarven syrup roasts (ie sugary sweet food) next to an area with multiple retracting bridges that fling young dwarves all over the place (ie the Mad Tea Party).

Um.  Not that I barfed or anything.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 01:33:15 pm »

Splash Mountain- A gauntlet filled with watery areas a bear and a fox chasing you. Only way out, take a high dive off the tall waterfall up top.

Thunder Mountain- Path trade carts to go through a rocky mountain path, and give your prisoners the opportunity to dodge a train of wagons heading their way around a mountain.

EDIT:
If we're remaking Disney World parks, how about Epcot? Anyone want to make a giant sphere of aluminum? Or how about make a megaproject of all different styles of buildings based on the regions they're from?

Additionally, we can also have the Innovations exhibits, kinda self-explanatory if you've been to the parks. Basically a glimpse at the future of technology and back in the 90s games (like a mini-E3). Do what you will with that idea.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 07:01:51 pm by Itnetlolor »

Duhwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 04:02:31 pm »

MAAAAAGGGGGMMMMAAAAAA!!!!!

FUN!