Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark change questions.  (Read 682 times)

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
Embark change questions.
« on: May 12, 2011, 12:11:08 am »

As I've come back recently I downloaded the newest version. One thing I've noticed as things have been categorized into Deep Metals and Shallow Metals and stuff like that, and the layers only seem to have only a couple metals in them. Why the change? Can anyone explain this to me?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embark change questions.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 12:20:32 am »

The idea is that there aren't very many places in the real world with multiple useful metals in a particular spot, and even most regions don't have very much in the way of useful minerals. In the name of realism, the number of different metals in a particular region have been limited, as have the amount of any particular metal.

You're expected to compensate for the lowered metal ore availability through trade. The fact that trade hasn't been fixed yet so that you can get a reasonable amount of metal from offsite is a problem, of course, and one that Toady is working on now.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 12:23:14 am by NecroRebel »
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 12:20:47 am »

I guess its more realistic this way. There aren't any mines that can mine lets say iron, nickel, copper, gold and silver simultaneously IRL, so our average fortress shouldn't either...
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 12:23:53 am »

Ah, I see. Well if I want to have the old way at any point I can just go to 31.12 ;p Thanks for letting me know. :)

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 12:26:52 am »

No. You grow a beard and get used to it! ;)

Every Fortress has Goblinite anyway and you can still trade for a bit of metal. You'll enjoy buying and melting :D
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 12:29:02 am »

Ah, I see. Well if I want to have the old way at any point I can just go to 31.12 ;p Thanks for letting me know. :)
Actually it's even easier than this - you can just set minerals to appear "Everywhere" in worldgen (or set "Mineral scarcity"  to  some single- or double- digit number in advanced worldgen).

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 12:33:50 am »

You mean to make it like it was before this change I just gotta change a few things? Where do I need to go?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 12:44:09 am »

It won't be exactly the same, but you will get significantly more metals than what is now standard.

There are 2 possible ways you can alter mineral scarcity. First is on the default world generation method ("Create New World!"); the last possible parameter there is Mineral Occurence, and if you set it to "Everywhere," you'll get more minerals than default. The other is in the custom world generation method ("Design New World with Advanced Parameters"); enter that menu, go to one of the parameter sets, (e)dit it, and on the top of the 5th page is a "Mineral Scarcity" parameter. Set it low for more minerals available; 100 is probably slightly less than was present in 31.18 and before, but that's 4% the default scarcity nowadays.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!