Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: US Defense Stupidity? Why not spend on protective technologies?  (Read 3037 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: US Defense Stupidity? Why not spend on protective technologies?
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2011, 02:53:22 pm »

Anyway, I don't really understand how can someone support increasing military spending, or rather, not decrasing it.
US have by far the strongest military in the world, by VERY far. It's allies have the rest. Why the hell do you support such dramatically costly things when you aren't able to pay for healthcare or education?

"US defence stupidity : why spending so freaking much?" would be much more appropriate.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2011, 02:59:15 pm »

Anyway, I don't really understand how can someone support increasing military spending, or rather, not decrasing it.
US have by far the strongest military in the world, by VERY far. It's allies have the rest. Why the hell do you support such dramatically costly things when you aren't able to pay for healthcare or education?

"US defence stupidity : why spending so freaking much?" would be much more appropriate.
Obviously because military contractors pay the republicans in power to be rabidly pro-military spending.
EDIT: and the democrats too, but the democrats are slightly less military.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 02:10:30 am by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2011, 03:02:21 pm »

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/01/army-cuts-let-army-keep-soldiers-010611w/

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/01/ap-military-robert-gates-to-announce-pentagon-spending-plan-010511

I'm too lazy to dig up more. Sleeping to do, before I've got to go out and drive around in armored vehicles that are largely held together with hope.

Edit: Now with fixed links!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 04:21:36 am by Strife26 »
Even the avatars expire eventually.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2011, 03:30:56 pm »

The "bush tax cuts" cost us more than the last 2 wars did, hehe.

We could afford our military, health care for our citizens, and small American flags for everyone else if we taxed at a rate closer to european countries.

"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2011, 05:08:39 pm »

Yeah, but we all know that your freedom decreases in direct proportion to the absolute amount of money you pay to the IRS, regardless of your income. So we can't call this a free country and have a sharply curved set of tax brackets! (I'm not entirely sure how to describe the graph I have in mind but hopefully that conveyed it correctly)

NOTE: The above post is parody, and not a very good one, at that. Half the motivation for posting it was venting, the other half being that it's mildly on topic for this thread right now.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]