Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No demonstrations?  (Read 1593 times)

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No demonstrations?
« on: May 10, 2011, 04:30:21 am »

Just a small question, but I don't see my dwarves doing any demonstrations, like "Dodging Demonstration" etc, during military training. I'm sure they used to a while ago, and I don't think they learn as fast by hanging around doing individual drill. Does anyone know why this might happen?
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No demonstrations?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 06:29:40 am »

Are they on Active alert? Do they spar?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 06:44:32 am »

They're all on active alert, but no, I haven't seen any of them sparring...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 08:44:59 am »

Then in the schedule screen, does 'Active' actually mean they'll train or did you accidentally wipe the training order so the alert is meaningless?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 10:41:05 am »

Aha! You're right. The schedule I've always been looking at only applies when the civilian alert is active (ie all the civvies are sent to hide in the lower levels) For some reason the squads are only set to train then, when they'll most likely be out killing stuff. I corrected the orders, hopefully they'll work now. Thanks for the help :)

And as soon as I did that, the militia captains all went to "Organize Combat Training" :D

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 11:49:38 pm »

The Squad screen is basically the designator of squad activitys. The Wiki has always overlooked it. The alert schedule in the military screen is actually an extra status report for the squads activities.
 When you first start playing, only commands available are to move squads(station) or kill.
Besides active, or Inactive.
 When you create new alerts, they are added to its options. Just have to take the time on the schedule screen to give orders for that alert, for each squad, for the year. Since dwarfs iq's usually match their age, you need to copy/paste orders to every month of that alerts year. So when you activate the alert from the squad menu, they will react.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration