Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dealing with HFS (spoilers inside)  (Read 1765 times)

zarokima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dealing with HFS (spoilers inside)
« on: May 09, 2011, 01:21:32 am »

So I found my first mysterious structure at my latest fort, and I'm looking for ways to have some fun with it (!!fun!! or otherwise). I already backed up the save and removed the adamantine sword just to see what happens, and what happens is my 154-dwarf fortress gets annihilated in approximately 3 minutes. Now I'm looking for a way to successfully get the sword with minimal damages. I've heard that building a constructed floor on top of the glowing floor seals them off, but that's way too cheap for me.

I'm thinking of digging out a really long channel to divert the river on the surface (I always have my entrance double as a drowning trap, so I've plenty of experience with this) to drown them. I've got the highest stairway nearly walled off (as a guide for the water and also a trap for the demons should something go wrong since walls are immune to building destroyers), so that I just have one wall left to construct from the inside -- I will disable masonry on all but one useless dwarf so that nobody of any consequence is lost. Urist McSacrifice will build the final wall, then go pull the sword and release the demons, then someone in the main fort will open the floodgates to the river so that it flows down to that walled-in basin, down the stairway, through the structure, and drowns the demons (unless they're somehow immune to drowning). Assuming this works, I can then re-engage the floodgates and deconstruct the walls of the basin. However, since slade is indestructible, there would be no way to drain the structure and actually obtain the sword.

I'm definitely doing the river diverting thing, because that sounds like fun, but what other suggestions are there? When I find magma, could I do similar with it and then divert the river to fill the structure with obsidian to mine through, or would the water only obsidian-ize the topmost layer?
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into a ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with HFS (spoilers inside)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 01:42:10 am »

Clowns are immune to water and magma, but not both(obsidian).
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 01:58:04 am »

you could also make a very long vertical hallway and somehow rig its ceiling to collapse once too many clowns are packed inside. Caveins kill all regardless of size or strength.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 02:36:38 am »

Do you have any artifact furniture? If so its very easy.

Build the artifact furniture where you want the demon horde to be parked.

Then build fortifications in such a way that your marksdwarves can shoot through the fortifications at the artifact furniture. Nothing can pass through dry fortifications. You can also build some siege engines aimed at the fortifications as well.

Surrounding the artifact furniture with spike traps linked to a lever also works well.

Send in a dwarf to unseal the evil. Seal up the area behind him with constructed walls or a drawbridge. Then have him open up the evil. The first dwarf who breaches is doomed. You cannot save him, don't try. All of the demons will slaughter poor Urist McExpendible and rush out. Demons are building destoyers, but artifact furniture cannot be destroyed, meaning they will stay within a 2 tile radius of the artifact furnture, forever trying to failing to damage it.

Then start pulling the spike lever, send in the siege engineers to bombard them, or marksdwarves. Be warned if you use siege weapons or marksdwarves you're going to need lots and lots and lots and lots ammo.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 02:44:41 am »

The dwarfy way: Train your military melee squad up to legendary, give them all masterwork steel/adamantine equipment, and MAKE THEM MEET THE DEMONS IN GLORIOUS COMBAT.

The cheesy way: Spam masterwork iron spears/menacing spikes in a long, one-tile-wide corridor full of upright weapon traps (NOT normal ones) relying your fortress to the glowing sword before you open up Hell. Link them all to a lever. Use a few doors to slow down the demons. Open up hell. Put the lever on repeat.

Nobody dodges upright weapon traps.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 05:39:01 am »

About the water thing, is it possible to kill them via water pressure alone? I saw something about a large pressurized cistern beside a causeway that killed a great deal of the invaders when they were caught in the torrent.

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 06:34:27 am »

pressure can push them away, if they hit something its the same as falling damage

i have a not-so-drowing trap at my entrance thats basiaclly a large corridoor with a water bassin over it and lots of bridges in the middle of the bassin floor that can be opened making the water fall down and brush the invaders against the large amount of "fortification" pillars (enemies are blocked by it, but water rushes trough just fine, making for a meat grinder effect)

also ofcourse at the sides of the hallway there are channels leading to a sewer so that it drains the water fast too, so it wont get a chance to flow in my fort

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 10:23:43 am »

Demons can't drown or burn.

They can freeze, caved-in, obsidianized, or repetitively poked.