Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Started playing recently (Questions)  (Read 623 times)

EZSPECIAL

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Started playing recently (Questions)
« on: May 07, 2011, 11:11:50 am »

I read about wolves and whatnot but the only thing I encounter on my game is Bandits and Boogeyman, what am I missing?

Also is there an aimed throw? I wish to sever heads!

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
Re: Started playing recently (Questions)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 11:25:21 am »

You didn't introduce yourself, did you?

ಠ_ಠ

Anyway.

Wolves, when they come, come in mass quantities. They come in squads of about ten, for me. Then there's more squads.

It makes up a whole army of wolves.

Nope, sorry, no aimed throw... However you can aim attack with Shift+A, but i'm sure you already knew that.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 01:39:31 am »

Not sure if you've already seen this or if you need it at this point, but...

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Adventure_mode_quick_start

If you want to find something other than bandits, go talk to some peasant in a village or someone in a fort and spam them with Surroundings requests. You can do this really fast and mostly just ignore what they have to say because them telling you about a lair or other site will cause it to appear on the map. You can then just walk there and kill whatever is there regardless of whether you actually have a quest to kill it. Check the quest log with Q if you want some idea of what a site is.

If there are nothing but bandits in one area, just walk to some other settlement and spam someone there with Surroundings.

EZSPECIAL

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 04:32:59 am »

Thank you both for the assistance, I had already seen that wiki page but good call neverthless.
I didn't know about the Surrounding spam and it was great help, suddenly my island doesn't seem so empty

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 05:05:00 am »

Wolves spawn up in the mountains for me. Ridiculous amounts of them.

If you want to meet more beasties you could always cut your worldgen short, before the civilisations get too much of a chance to murdilate all the native fauna. I usually go with the shortest history possible and will typically encounter all sorts of nasty things that haven't died yet.