Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: TANTRUM SPIRAL INBOOOUUUUND!  (Read 1994 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: TANTRUM SPIRAL INBOOOUUUUND!
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2011, 12:04:03 am »

Stone boats can work.  In theory.  But these are dwarves.  They won't work.
Oh. I know what to make when I find next underground sea.
Dwarven Stone Submarine! It has to be made out of natural rock, so it won't be destroyed after launching, that's why I need underground sea. Or above ground, but cast it out of obsidian.
Turn off cave-ins and actually float :))

Ganondwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2011, 12:25:28 am »

Here's a prevention strategy
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83919.0
Basically you keep one or two independent, self-sufficient fortresses in case of severe catastrophe. If everyone outside dies, just dig out and get back to work.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2011, 06:00:35 am »

Stone boats can work.  In theory.  But these are dwarves.  They won't work.
Oh. I know what to make when I find next underground sea.
Dwarven Stone Submarine! It has to be made out of natural rock, so it won't be destroyed after launching, that's why I need underground sea. Or above ground, but cast it out of obsidian.
Turn off cave-ins and actually float :))
What's the !!Fun!! without ▒Cave-ins▒?

Oh, and carve it out of orthoclase. Dwarven Yellow Rock Submarine.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2011, 07:20:03 pm »

This is how tantrums take you out, yes...  Best bet is to cancel all existing work orders and let everyone idle in the dining hall, probably.  They'll socialize, which gives them happy thoughts.  May still be too late, you can't always stop a tantrum spiral.  That's what DF is though.  Losing is Fun.

You really don't want everyone to crowd into a single location.  That just increases the odds that a single dwarf being bad will trigger multiple issues with other dwarves.  With multiple meeting locations, you get better odds that misbehavior will not upset as many dwarves.

Depending on how bad the spiral is, you can sometimes quickly build statues, dwarf baths, or mist generators.  But mostly it's a "ride it out and try not to lose any more dwarves to tragedy".

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2011, 07:24:27 pm »

All things considered, I'm more likely to produce some weapons and armor and maybe some statues and booze.  Then I pick a soldier, put him in a royal bedroom, with royal dining hall and royal study, optionally some royal zoo-things.  Deck him in the best order, and have him strike down every berzerker.  It doesn't really slow down the spiral, but that one soldier becomes hardened, and he takes joy in slaughter, making him more likely to survive the spiral sane and thus encourage migrants.  Side-effect, he will be your new mayor.
Pages: 1 2 [3]