Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LCS: Soldiers trying to steal "silverwear"  (Read 1200 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
LCS: Soldiers trying to steal "silverwear"
« on: May 03, 2011, 02:14:08 pm »

Line 771 of src/monthly/sleeper_update.cpp:
Code: [Select]
else item="LOOT_SILVERWEAR";
This causes the game to crash randomly at the end of the month when soldiers try to send you their "silverwear".

Also, I sent you another bug, apparently when choosing College Dropout during character creation, there are too many points in attributes, often more than once in the same attribute. (src/title/newgame.cpp)

Code: [Select]
            if(c=='d')
            {
               newcr->adjust_attribute(ATTRIBUTE_INTELLIGENCE,+1);
               newcr->adjust_attribute(ATTRIBUTE_AGILITY,+1);
               newcr->adjust_attribute(ATTRIBUTE_HEALTH,+2);
               newcr->set_skill(SKILL_FIRSTAID,newcr->get_skill(SKILL_FIRSTAID)+(2));
               newcr->set_skill(SKILL_STREETSENSE,newcr->get_skill(SKILL_STREETSENSE)+(2));
               newcr->type = CREATURE_HSDROPOUT;
               base = SITE_RESIDENTIAL_SHELTER;

newcr->adjust_attribute(ATTRIBUTE_HEART,+1);
               newcr->adjust_attribute(ATTRIBUTE_INTELLIGENCE,+1);
               newcr->adjust_attribute(ATTRIBUTE_AGILITY,+1);
               newcr->adjust_attribute(ATTRIBUTE_STRENGTH,+1);
               newcr->adjust_attribute(ATTRIBUTE_HEALTH,+1);
               newcr->adjust_attribute(ATTRIBUTE_CHARISMA,+1);
            }

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: LCS: Soldiers trying to steal "silverwear"
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 02:50:31 pm »

Thanks for the reports. The Highschool Dropout ending is working as intended; "surviving alone, just like anyone" gives an additional +1 to all attributes except Wisdom. If you're minmaxing your main character as a generalist, it's almost certainly the most powerful choice. But if you have a specific role in mind, the others will specialize a bit better, and start out more capable in their respective disciplines.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 05:58:09 pm »

Well, that's weird. So far most of the choices keep a balance between raising attributes and skills (because skills are easy to raise after creation and thus irrelevant from a min-maxing perspective, while attributes cap skills). Just the fact that it's calling the function "newcr->adjust_attribute(ATTRIBUTE_INTELLIGENCE,+1)" twice (and a few others) instead of just using +2 seriously hints to me that this is an oversight.

But I haven't seen the original Toady's source code, so I don't know if this is from the start or if you added this code on purpose, so I can't opine either way.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 06:27:26 pm »

I added it on purpose. Everything in character creation has been heavily overhauled since the last version by Toady One; in fact, the D and E archetypes didn't exist before. Also, the choices weren't all balanced against each other in terms of points in stats and skills in the last Toady One version, that's a relatively recent innovation.

The reason it calls adjust attribute twice is that the block above is the standard, balanced, equal increase of 4 attribute and 4 skill points. The block below is the additional +1 to all attributes.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 09:59:47 pm »

Alright then. Maybe it needs a comment there in the code stating just that.