Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Most annoying thing?  (Read 4141 times)

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most annoying thing?
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2011, 06:04:07 pm »

A military that is sure to screw up the best-laid plans. I don't know how many times I've facepalmed because my soldiers would rather chase moneys than goblins or because a lone soldier sees a group of goblins and charges right in by himself.

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2011, 06:24:22 pm »

Rabbits found in caverns that ALWAYS interrupts dwarves. Thanks to them, I got miasma producing corpses on the entrance to the cavern. >:(

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2011, 06:33:55 pm »

Yeah the military has a few annoying things. Mostly that dwarves don't seem to prioritize targets...

Hell, one time when I was doing a seven-dwarf fortress, the goblins attacked. I station my steel-armored, steel-battleaxe-wielding legendary axeman and woodcutter outside near the door, confident that he was going to trash the gobbos.

Then a buzzard passes ten tiles away from my activated axedwarf. The axedwarf RUNS AFTER THE BUZZARD, obviously thinking in his booze-soaked brain that the buzzard was more of a threat to the fortress than the gobbos.

And then the goblins just enter the fortress, barely stopped by my few cage traps here and there. While my INSANELY STUPID WOODCUTTER was still chasing the buzzard. And they started to slaughter the six other dwarves.

4) Nobles going insane and subsequently dying just because some other dwarf has a nice (though not as nice as the nobles') room. Just found out about that today. It's fine that they get pissy, but dooming themselves without warning and without a way to save them annoys me.

You regret losing your useless stuck-up nobles ?

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2011, 06:48:01 pm »

The bugged clothing bothers me to, yeah. And what's with liasons appearing alone (and preferably on the far side of the map from the entrance)? Stick to the caravan, morons! That way, you at least have some protection. "Ambush magnet" is part of your job description as it is, and I get the blame when you snuff it.

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2011, 03:47:47 am »

Yes that would be nice.  I would also like to setup certain shops to only accept certain types of jobs from the manager.  For example, my bonecarver's craft workshop for bolts is usually with my other weapon and military industries rather than near my export industries where the stonecrafter's workshops are.  I would love to designate the workshop near the military complex to only accept bonecarving jobs and the ones near the export area to only accept stone jobs.  Then I could go into my job manager and say 30 bone bolts and 60 rock crafts and have them only goto the proper work shop.

There is a workaround with this - flood your bolt shop with "Make X Bolts" and set them all to Repeat and Suspended. When you need bolts, unsuspend the top job and bolts will be made. The craft shop will never be able to generate a "Make Craft" job as the production list is full.
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2011, 04:08:06 am »

I think I've got used to the dwarf psychology, I just accept there are things they will do infallibly (like building themselves into a corner) and things they won't (like running from a goblin ambush the right way) and I build everything with dwarven idiocy in mind.

Claimed clothes are the only thing that bug the hell out of me, I've got dwarves who aren't in the military, have perfectly good bedrooms with completely empty cabinets, and they still won't pick their shit up. I do the d-b-c-d-b-d-d-b-m thing as a standard action with all piles of invader junk, and yet even THEN, without even unpausing between the unforbid and the dump, I get a couple more claimed socks and loincloths in each new batch (how do they do it!??). And of course nobody will even wear the stuff anyway. My fort is nearly 20 years old, and that means a lot of garbage lying on the map. Sadly I'm on a tundra (no rhesus macaques) and kobolds are extinct so I can't even hope they steal Urist McSoapmaker's xtroll fur loinclothx. GAH! Toady fix it please :(
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2011, 04:31:43 am »

Most annoying thing would be migrants and diplomats.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2011, 05:00:58 am »

Archers that refuse to stand next to the f***ing fortifications, and if they are on the same level as their foes will rush the enemy when they run out of bolts.

Also the fact that in the new version things made from gems (artifacts and large gemstones) don't have anywhere to go and just clutter up the fortress. (although I'm hoping this is just a simple bug that'll be squished in the next release)

Mcducks22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2011, 09:16:10 am »

For me, it's crundles. God, how I hate crundles!

I recently opened the second cavern layer and discovered a magma chute. Like the idiot I am, I decided to set up magma forges without sealing off the cave. Enter crundles. Ugh. Every five minutes, I get Interrupted by crundle spam, and have to wait for my military to make it all the way down the stairs to get rid of them and hope nobody dies.

Yes, I have tried sealing off the caverns. However, every time i try, this happens:
Mason cancels construct wall: Interrupted by crundle

Coward!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2011, 09:58:22 am »

For me, it's crundles. God, how I hate crundles!

I recently opened the second cavern layer and discovered a magma chute. Like the idiot I am, I decided to set up magma forges without sealing off the cave. Enter crundles. Ugh. Every five minutes, I get Interrupted by crundle spam, and have to wait for my military to make it all the way down the stairs to get rid of them and hope nobody dies.

Yes, I have tried sealing off the caverns. However, every time i try, this happens:
Mason cancels construct wall: Interrupted by crundle

Coward!
Just keep building it bit by bit. It will eventually complete. Also, station some guards nearby. From what I hear, crundles are afraid of guards.

Jome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2011, 10:03:32 am »

Caverns on fucking level 15 where I'm trying to build something.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]