Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question:Dwarf Clothing  (Read 2237 times)

fedepiz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Question:Dwarf Clothing
« on: May 04, 2011, 01:10:43 pm »

Hi everyone!!!
First off, I'm Federico, and I'm a novice dwarf fortress player!!

I wanted to ask a question...do dwarf actually wear all that mass of clothing I produce? or it is just meant for trade??
More generally, do dwarf equip/own "on their own" anything? I mean, I know how military equipment works, how tree-falling requires an axe etc...but what about all the "commodities"?

and, if indeed they are used by the dwarfs, how can the player control/influence that??

Thank you very much!!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: Question:Dwarf Clothing
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 01:14:54 pm »

Dwarves will never put on clothes. Children and dwarves born in the fortress will run around naked until they get raped by a goblin.

Trade goods (Also known as useless crap) are useless crap.

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 01:23:46 pm »

They used to grab clothing when they needed it (as it does wear out), or buy clothing once the economy kicked in (it's broken right now, and they could never afford anything anyway), and actually wear it.

Now, they'll still go and claim clothing, but they'll never put it on, leaving it laying about the fortress or in their rooms.

The only way for now to get them to wear new clothes is to draft em into the military, set a clothing uniform, and leave them inactive.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 01:31:13 pm »

They used to grab clothing when they needed it (as it does wear out), or buy clothing once the economy kicked in (it's broken right now, and they could never afford anything anyway), and actually wear it.

Now, they'll still go and claim clothing, but they'll never put it on, leaving it laying about the fortress or in their rooms.

The only way for now to get them to wear new clothes is to draft em into the military, set a clothing uniform, and leave them inactive.
There isn't much of a point to clothing anyway. They only get mad if their clothes fall off, but they're fine running around naked in the meeting hall.

In fact that is quite usual for a fortress.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 06:04:57 pm »

Clothing is vital is the fortress has a disease contaminant lying around and you are above dfclean (but also refuse to accept the clothing bug)
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 06:10:43 pm »

Assign dwarves to a military squad that wears boots.  Floor contaminants become moot.  Or use the godly waterfall, which cures all ailments and diverts all disaster.