Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: XYZ has been incased in ice...  (Read 490 times)

Damien White

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
XYZ has been incased in ice...
« on: May 10, 2011, 09:12:01 am »

I tried to embark in a very cold location, with a frozen ocean, two frozen rivers, a Part of a glaicier and an aquifier. There are no problems so far. I digged out a little fortress, established Faming Plots (thank god there is mud on z-1) workshops etc. I got everything except stone, wich was below the aquifier.

So I thougt it would be smart to chanel throug the aquifier from surface to get walls of ice as water barrier. Everything went fine until my miner chaneled the 20th or 30th tile in the aquifier level and got incased. Ok, I thought, next try and now with lots of cloth! But nope, now he got incased after his third tile... As I read in this forum some of you embark and live in glaciers, so my question is how do you protect your miners or other dwarfes from being incased in ice?

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XYZ has been incased in ice...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 09:22:25 am »

The problem is that when he channels the aquifer tile it starts leaking water, the water then freezes the moment its exposed to the air.  When you channel the dwarf stands on the tile in question and after its done he finds himself standing 1 z down on the ramp (where the water will momentarily appear and freeze)  It seems a little random whether the dwarf will move in time (similar to fortifications in a wall with magma behind).  In particular if its the last designated tile then the dwarf will often pause a moment while he picks a new task....pause on the danger tile...

I wouldnt be surprised if you see ice encasing most often on the last designated tile.

To avoid this you can channel the aquifer while it still has soil over it, this will produce ofcourse a row/block of 7/7 water tiles.  You then take the roof off and they all freeze, you can then safely channel all but the edge ice blocks (removing the edge block causes water, then freeze and probably death)

If the aquifer is more than 1z thick then this isnt gonna work :S
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 09:24:26 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XYZ has been incased in ice...
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 03:32:14 pm »

Dwarves if offered the choice, will stand on a adjacent floor when channeling. So instead of designating a large area to channel at the outset, do it in sections, where they have  floor to stand on. Several 1 space wide horizontal strips work. Its slower, but lots safer.
  If the aquifier is multi-level. there are several good techniques for aquibusting in the forum, and on the Wiki.
 The ice technique does work for multilevel aquifiers. I've been experimenting lately. Water flows from the edges, not the floor. The final result will look like a upside down pyramid.
 The main problem is access for the miners and wall builders, and running out of space for building a caisson.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration