Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to reserve bins?  (Read 397 times)

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to reserve bins?
« on: May 02, 2011, 04:16:45 pm »

How do you make it so that specific newly created bins are not automatically snapped up by a nearby stockpile?  I'm trying to get splints and crutches down to my hospital and I'm pretty sure I read that a stockpile isn't good enough to get them used...one must build the container for them in the hospital zone.  But as soon as I make a new bin at the carpenter's it's whisked away to a stockpile. 

Thoughts?
Randy...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: How to reserve bins?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 04:21:59 pm »

These are stored in chests in the hospital.  Build some chests within the hospital zone, and dwarves will stock any cloth, thread, crutches, buckets, etc, within these chests.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 04:22:39 pm »

Hospitals need containers, not bins.  Containers include bags(cloth), chests(wood), coffers(stone), and boxes(glass).  Build any of those using 'b'->'h' in a hospital zone.  Note that hospitals do not respect limits, so you may have trouble getting splints/crutches/soap in the zone if you have a lot of thread/cloth.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 04:26:10 pm »

They do respect limits... to a point.  At any given time, when a hospital falls below its limit, it will immediately stock it using every available dwarf.  Thus, if the limit is 10 thread, and it drops to 9, then it will instantly assign 20 dwarves to collect thread, causing 29/10 thread to be stocked, and when it drops back to 9 they'll rush in again.

Yeah, healthcare is buggy, but at least we have crutches.  For bonus lulz, when an elven caravan arrives, assign your hospital to hold one more cloth or thread.  They should go out and rob the caravan, as the "stock hospital" job is higher priority than respect of ownership.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 04:31:00 pm »

So trying to stock 2 coffers with 30 idle dwarfs was a bad idea?  :o  Guess I'll have to try again, see if they get crutches and splints this time.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.