Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Most amazing and/or akward place you've built a fortress  (Read 1330 times)

ztyler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Most amazing and/or akward place you've built a fortress
« on: April 30, 2011, 12:42:14 pm »

Like the title says, post either a summary or a picture (or both) of the most amazing and/or akward place you've built a fortress.

Mine was on a lake. With only 20 tiles of dry land. I ended up building an aboveground city in the center of the lake with a long bridge connecting it to the dry tiles. Easy to defend, hard to get materials (until I found Magma and could just use obsidian tunnels to pierce the lake bed)
He's going the distance.

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most amazing and/or akward place you've built a fortress
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 01:31:36 pm »

I embarked on a really cool volcano that had a naturally smooth diagonal face, so my fort ended up being all diagnal tunnels and rooms to suit, that was awkward, especially the wall building outside, designating diagnal walls takes some time.

Then I ruined it by accidentially piercing the cottoncandy and crippling the FPS and just didn't have the heart to reload the location after that(even though I managed to seal up the clowns just in time).
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 11:31:08 am »

Your lake fort kinda reminds me of an old canyon fort that I've made once.

It was about my second or so fort back then, so I didn't really know what to look for.
I embarked on what I thought would be a good place (river, flux stone, and mountains which seemed cool and dwarfy)
I ended up at a massive canyon where there were two really steep cliffs and a river flowing down the middle.
I didn't really play for long since my not-yet-fully-dwarfified brain couldn't handle all those Z-levels.
I should've kept that world though...
Woulda been awesome if I were to make some kind of floating castle with only a single rock pathway supporting the whole thing.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 12:58:42 pm »

I went for a 2x15 embark in 40d once. 4 tiles of glacier, the rest ocean. Then I built a bridge and a magmaduct to the far side of the ocean and attempted to cast an obsidian tower down onto the silicious ooze, 17 z-levels below the ocean's surface.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 02:28:13 pm »

Oh my, RiverFortune, this fort guys.

Well what happened was I embarked where a river split in two, and also the river was in a 5 zlevel canyon from the surface. So I build my fort in the three seperated parts of the eart, with a uncovered bridge leading between then, as well as stairs to the river below, and the surface. Unfortunatly, I had attempted to cross the bridge with a aqueduct on the same level, and had a leak because of an unfinished wall. Long story short, About a thrid of my dwarves were swept off of the platforms by the water that came flowing though. This lead to a spiral and the fort collapsed.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 03:34:34 pm »

Anyone have a good seed or know the method to bake a world with extreme cliffs?  I want to build a cliffside fort hanging off the sheer walls...

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 08:58:07 am »

Saved that wordgen, will poke it later.