Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Auto-combustion and Urist McMoody destroy fort  (Read 1166 times)

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
Auto-combustion and Urist McMoody destroy fort
« on: May 02, 2011, 05:27:10 am »

Second time the deadly blood of forgotten beasts have caused my entire fortress to fail. I got my markdwarves to kill it, and TRIED to make a little pond between my fortress and and the caverns to wash their feet, but it ended up being the sole place people would catch the infection. I looked with the magic K button all up and down the hallway to and from the infection site and there was no way they could catch it, they would just get it out of nowhere after walking through an entirely unrelated blood pool. People didn't go near the body of the FB, but I ended up losing around 8 dwarves, 5 children and two very well known people to the blood before I just plain shut the cavern off entirely.
This didn't help, as the entire screen flooded with red arrows over all my little dorfs, reducing a 12 year Mountainhome into a pile of corpses and not enough coffins to compensate. So everyone punched everyone else, broke the bridge over the moat, starting throwing cats off the tower (actually I ordered that one) refused to finish my precious castle and STILL kept contracting the bloating explosion disease, soaking up blood, causing every body part to go rotten and be swollen with blood. Until they exploded.
So I ask. How the HELL do you stop deadly blood FB's? Every time they get me. The worst thing up until that was a salt monster and an eel with no eyes. Oooooh~ Watch out.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
Re: Auto-combustion and Urist McMoody destroy fort
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 05:47:32 am »

Asploded?

Pics or didn't happen.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 05:49:28 am »

It is called a cave in. That what I tend to use against FB. Orbital defense traps

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 05:50:48 am »

Well one moment they would be fine, the next, they would contract the deadly blood disease and EVERY SINGLE LIMB AND BODY PART INCLUDING THE BRAIN would have a line in injury text saying "His ____is swollen with _____'s dwarf blood" followed by "His _____ is rotten"
Then a minute later it would say "Succumb to the infection" and that his upper body is missing when I check the post-mortem character description screen.
Also, there was vomit EVERYWHERE.

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 05:58:15 am »

Well one moment they would be fine, the next, they would contract the deadly blood disease and EVERY SINGLE LIMB AND BODY PART INCLUDING THE BRAIN would have a line in injury text saying "His ____is swollen with _____'s dwarf blood" followed by "His _____ is rotten"
Then a minute later it would say "Succumb to the infection" and that his upper body is missing when I check the post-mortem character description screen.
Also, there was vomit EVERYWHERE.

"Upper Body is missing" is the usual thing you get once they're dead, even if they died by losing their head or lower body or whatever.

Sounds like Ebola.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 06:03:46 am »

Well it should've said in the FB's description "Beware it's deadly blood! Beware its mind control abilities to make everyone tantrum!"
Guard punched a peasant through the skull and it just went downhill from there ;_;
Gosh it was fun though, even though I am kind of depressed now because less than an hour earlier I was gloating about how a tantrum spiral would never get me :(

Hurgal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 06:52:08 am »

I set the decontamination pools up before I ever even breach the caverns.  I ensure that they are the only way from the cavern to my fortress proper.  I make them large enough that a 3-dwarf squad can be stationed there.  When a forgotten beast is announced, I station that squad in the pool and let the beast come to them.

Perhaps I'm lucky that I haven't gotten any of those instant-effect type syndromes, but I like to believe my decontamination pools have had positive benefits as well.