Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stagnant Water & Infections  (Read 3550 times)

Cromage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stagnant Water & Infections
« on: April 17, 2011, 02:59:29 pm »

According to the wiki, stagnant water is a potential cause of infections.

I only get water from well, which drains from a murky pond and so only produces stagnant water. I have no rivers.

How do I make the water clean so that it doesn't infect my dorfs?

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
Re: Stagnant Water & Infections
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 03:06:28 pm »

Well... I guess you could check your caverns for water.

Or put a screwpump whose only purpose is to drain water from the pool which then flows back into it due to walls. Then it'll be flowing water. I guess.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

DryBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 03:17:51 pm »

I was under the impression that water from wells was cleaned regardless of where it is located, unless there's blood in the water.

Also, please note that cleaning wounds with !!magma!! has a zero rate of infection.

Cromage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 03:22:43 pm »

Caverns are too far down to make a good supply. One fifty-level (magma) pump stack is enough for this fortress. =P

I thought of the screw pump thing, but does it really work? I guess if no one knows for sure, time for !!SCIENCE!!

I was under the impression that water from wells was cleaned regardless of where it is located, unless there's blood in the water.

That's what I thought too, but both of my well buckets have "stagnant water" with a "grime coating" in them. Doesn't seen very clean to me.

kenpoaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 03:34:41 pm »

If i recall, wells make the dwarves drink the water regardless of what it was. it doesn't actually clean it though. only pumps do that.
This forum is a bunch of nutters, and you couldn't point to anything to contradict it.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 04:29:17 pm »

You need two levels of water to produce a bucket with just water in it.

To do this you'll need to drain your murky pool off into a subterranean cistern, or dig a shaft down to the cavern (have a miner ramp beneath their feet, and catch them with a bridge once they hit the cavern itself) and accept the time it takes to drop the bucket down to the water.

I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Cromage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 09:03:14 pm »

Excellent, thanks!

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 09:10:07 pm »

Also, please note that cleaning wounds with !!magma!! has a zero rate of infection.

...wait, how did you light magma, of all things, on fire? It doesn't have an ignition point. It's made of molten rock, even, there's nothing in it that could burn at all...

O.
Must check.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

acer_palmatum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 10:49:21 pm »

To do this you'll need to drain your murky pool off into a subterranean cistern, or dig a shaft down to the cavern (have a miner ramp beneath their feet, and catch them with a bridge once they hit the cavern itself) and accept the time it takes to drop the bucket down to the water.

This.

Water drawn from a well that isn't at least 2z levels deep will get mud in the bucket and create stagnant water

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 11:48:53 am »

OK, I'm following this discussion and my newbie attempts to get an underground cistern built (so that my whole effing fort doesn't die when the river/pools freeze next winter...grrr) have hit a snag.  I dug out a 10x10 cistern under several surface pools, then drained those pools into the cistern.  Sadly, only one z-level of 7/7 water is in the cistern.  I created five one-square ponds and five dorfs dutifully grabbed buckets to start filling...and went straight to the surface to fill their buckets from the wells that are drawn from the cistern.  So, circular drawing/carrying/dumping of water from the cistern isn't going to fill it.

How can I force the water carriers to draw the water from elsewhere?  Please tell me I don't have to deconstruct wells each time I want to fill the cistern, because that's silly.
Randy...

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 12:19:10 pm »

...wait, how did you light magma, of all things, on fire? It doesn't have an ignition point. It's made of molten rock, even, there's nothing in it that could burn at all...

Fairly simple. It's the same process as with !!fire!!.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 12:20:40 pm »

Or you can just have your cistern being fed by tunnels from the nearby murky pools. making sure its 2 Z level depth in the center. You can set a small one that can water a fort for many years before summer hits in the first year if you combine it as the water feed for irrigating farms and your murky pool placement works out.

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 12:28:41 pm »

Well, I drained three murky pools into it, and I think there's only 7/7 water in one z-level of the cistern.  So I think I need to add more water, perhaps from the river.
Randy...