Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Fashion World Finally Goes Absolutely Bonkers  (Read 1817 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Fashion World Finally Goes Absolutely Bonkers
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2011, 04:42:48 pm »

You do realize "normal", appearance-wise, is just an accumulation of trends that ended up having some semblance of staying power, right?
Who's to say this "trend" doesn't?

And Scriver, the issue of course is that since some of the people we are talking about are models and other fashion industry people (specifically mentioned in the excerpt in the first post), whose look is the product they are selling, this is anything BUT vanity - in many ways, it's a business decision with real benefits. Maybe it's a poor decision in practice, but in principle I see nothing wrong with it or different about it than most of the stuff models do (like, again, boob jobs). Nothing a model does to their body is to fit the norm - it's always to attain some ideal appearance, something by definition exceptional.

If you want to "make yourself more beautiful", go right ahead.
This is exactly what they are doing.

It may be a decision they later regret, it may well be shortsighted, but it is still exactly what they are doing.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 04:44:45 pm by GlyphGryph »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2011, 04:50:55 pm »

I'm not so sure were talking about just models any more, but sure, I might have missed the point. I agree with you as well, with most of what you've said at least. I just felt you didn't quite understand his point, so I tried to rephrase it for you. Insofar I understood it, that is.
Love, scriver~

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2011, 06:48:55 pm »

Yeah, sorry, I did get that, I just didn't know how else to address the rephrasing (assuming it was accurate, which seemed like it to me)

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2011, 11:28:29 pm »

Quote from: Thread Title
The Fashion World Finally Goes Absolutely Bonkers

Wait - this is any different from before?
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2011, 11:38:29 pm »

Personally, I would argue that body modding for artistic purposes is ok.  Extremes such as amputation are debatable, but still a person's choice and have little effect on anyone but that person.

Cosmetic surgery for beautification, especially among celebrities, is different and does have negative effects on society.  Due to the interactions of media and cultural standard, it lowers self esteem and motivates people to harm themselves in pursuit of unrealistic ideals.

Of course the line between artistic purpose and beautification is pretty vague, and I'm not even going to try to make that distinction in summary.  I'll just say that the fashion industry could stand to be a lot more conscious and responsible.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 2 [3]