Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sniping Games?  (Read 2274 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sniping Games?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 06:15:24 pm »

I remember, my one and only time I played Hitman... the bullets move.... so fucking slow. I can almost run faster than them.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 06:35:27 pm »

I take it Silent Scope doesn't count?

Joint Ops(large-scale multiplayer FPS, over 100 players is possible, though most are limited to 64) has bullet drop, and you can adjust scope elevation to compensate for distance. It doesn't have wind, although I think Delta Force(by the same company) did.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 06:44:11 pm »

Since ARMA II is my favorite shooter of all time, and the main thing I do in shooters is snipe, ARMA II is the way to go.

Even muliplayer, if you're playing the "warfare" game mode then there's lots of AI you'll be shooting at. You should only see other players as the game is reaching the end, or you're both fighting for the same town.

As for open ended... the maps are effing huge, the smallest one is a couple km across, the bigger is big enough that you'll need something that flies to cross it in anything resembling a reasonable amount of time.
I've played a guitar with my penis.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 07:23:37 pm »

You could try one of the Hunting Unlimited games; creep through the woods and put a slug through bambi's head

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 07:27:24 pm »

You could try one of the Hunting Unlimited games; creep through the woods and put a slug through bambi's head
He said he didn't want a hunting game, I don't blame him since those are pretty boring.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 12:52:29 am »

Thanks for all the replies, looks like Sniper Elite is the way to go.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 01:23:35 am »

I must say the best sniping game I've played is Fallout New Vegas.  It can be played lots of other ways, but the sniping is pretty decently done.

You can sealth around with line of sight stealth and moving quietly, or by using stealth devices.  You can use anything from a silenced .223 to a gauss rifle or plasma cannon.

The early stage .223 has decent iron sights.

There is no wind that I've noticed.

When using silenced weapons from long range, enemies don't magically all know where you are, they will either go to cover or wander around confused looking for the source of the shooting.  They seem to be pretty good at telling where the gauss rifle is though, something about the corpses flying 20-30 feet away from the impact probably gives it away.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 02:03:07 am »

I don't want to sound like a jerk but Fallout was the exact opposite of what I'm looking for.

Fallout is a decent fps/rpg but I find it rather shallow as either a rpg or fps on it's own.

The movement is clunky, the gunplay is awkard at best and with the right stats you can eat more bullets than fruitloops.
Not to mention for your gun to acutally hit anything you have to be at a high level.
Guns have to be maintained at all times to have the decent accuracy.
The iron sights are like looking at a brick duct-taped to a stick.
It's also extremely easy even on the hardest setting.
The stealth system is also pretty shallow.
The guns don't feel very realistic to me (not that I know that much, only fire a few hunting rifles before)

The gibbing system however is very nice.  :P

EDIT: Just started playing Sniper Elite and OHMYGODWHY did they choose to go with third person outside of the sniping? Trying to shoot an unaware soldier with a silence pistol was a horrific experience. As is trying to take cover. Also, screw tanks!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 06:52:08 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 07:03:36 am »

New Vegas might not be the best sniping game but nothing beats killing enemies with an Anti Materiel Rifle with Incendiary Rounds. :P

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011, 02:57:15 pm »

Sniper Elite might be good as a sniping game, but I found it poorly paced, frustrating and sometimes pretty arbitrary.  Though maybe it's just because I could never get past that POW mission.

Like the worse Hitman missions, there's a few times where it's nothing but "quietly sneak here then wait for five minutes" and iirc you can't just save whenever you want to, either.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 04:17:43 pm »

Something that is a completely, and I do mean completely, off the wall suggestion...

World of Tanks.

Get in a tank killer, hide in a bush and pick your enemies off at long range using stealth in sniper mode.

Or get in an artillery, hide in a bush and pick your enemies off at beyond visual range when an ally scouts them out.

Problems:
not single player.
not exclusively sniper focused.
no story.
you are a tank.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 05:50:45 pm »

Isn't World of Tanks pay to win? Just seem's that most free to play games are Pay to win these day's (Battlefield heroes especially.)
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2011, 05:51:47 pm »

Isn't World of Tanks pay to win? Just seem's that most free to play games are Pay to win these day's (Battlefield heroes especially.)

Pay to win games fill me with so much rage.  I'll never understand the appeal.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2011, 06:10:01 pm »

No, its not pay to win.

You can play for free, and get all the best tanks, equipment and fully leveled crew.

You can buy gold, and that makes the game a little less grindy, and can be used to buy exclusive tanks and extra garage slots. But since the exclusive tanks are not better than the normal ones, they don't give you a real advantage.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2011, 09:02:37 pm »

Sniper Elite might be good as a sniping game, but I found it poorly paced, frustrating and sometimes pretty arbitrary.  Though maybe it's just because I could never get past that POW mission.

I remember that mission, I also remember trying to beat that one over the course of a few weeks.
Pages: 1 [2]