Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: One-sided sparring  (Read 420 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
One-sided sparring
« on: April 29, 2011, 03:52:47 pm »

So after embarking with two Teacher 4, Student 4 dwarves, they quickly hit awesome status within a year of being in their own squad ever since first summer. Then one happened to get injured so I stuck in some immigrant who had some good skills as a replacement sparring partner. Said immigrant never got to swing his weapon during sparring sessions - it was always "new guy is surprised by the ferocity of Urist McBadass' onslaught" with the immigrant too shocked to attack back except for the occasional punch. McBadass hazed the new guy for about 5~8 weapon swings for every punch he received back. Thus, the sparring session was just a way for Urist McBadass to get good really fast while his training partner tried to teach him what he learnt about punching during those hazings.

Hence this is why you should try to keep squads filled with similar skilled soldiers. Unless you intentionally want to speed-train your veterans to legendary status at the expense of someone else's stunted growth.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One-sided sparring
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 03:57:58 pm »

In my experience, this is countered by the fact that the new guy is eventually on the receiving end of a Dodging demonstration, and then things start to even up. No matter how uneven the skills are initially, I always get superior skill development when putting skilled fighters in squads with less- or unskilled ones, rather than putting the less skilled ones together.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 04:22:21 pm »

Further observation, the punching is because this new guy happened to be very skilled at striking so it was his personal preference. He's now also a legendary fighter and when he sometimes pulls off the surprising ferocity then he stil mostly prefers to punch.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 04:59:06 pm »

Its good for them to be on the receiving end. That means they're improving on dodge and block, arguably the two most important skills a military dwarf can have.

A dwarf with legendary in dodge and block can be completely unskilled with his weapon but still do much more damage than a legendary axedwarf who can't dodge or block anything.