Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another Noob question I'm afraid - training  (Read 452 times)

Coco146

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Another Noob question I'm afraid - training
« on: May 01, 2011, 07:27:12 am »

Okay well I've made all the armour and weapons/training weapons but I cant get my squad to train with them.  See I'd rather not have a squad of wrestlers when I have some high quality war-hammers on the go. 

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Another Noob question I'm afraid - training
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 07:47:38 am »

Assign the squad a barracks by designating from a bed, weapon rack or armour stand.

Go into the schedule manager (press s twice). Make sure that all entries are for training. You may have to change the number training - default is 10 and you might want to make it one or two less than the number of dwarves you actually have, so they take a break for food. IDK if that's still necessary though.

Now to make sure they're properly equipped go into the military screen (press m from main screen). Hit e (equip) and then you can specify what equipment each soldier has. So to give them all metal armour and weapons, hit U, scroll to "Metal armor" and hit Shift-enter to apply to the whole squad. You can also use the settings to fine-tune each soldier's equipment, for example if you want a certain dwarf to carry an artifact weapon.

Oh and by the way I'd recommend using swords or axes instead of hammers, they're a lot more general purpose whereas hammers take a long time to finish monsters off, though they are more effective against heavily armoured foes because they ignore the armour.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Coco146

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 07:53:46 am »

thanks man

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 09:24:06 am »

I think making training weapons is generally not a good idea. They train fine with normal weapons, and if they train with the training weapons too long they might get attached to them.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 09:49:14 am »

One redeeming feature of training weapons is training axes are usable to chop wood. So it saves you embark points to spend on skills/more stuff.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 09:58:59 am »

True, but the log-chopping power of training axes really doesn't make up seeing your dwarves use said axes on armed invaders. Whereas spending the extra embark points on a real axe, and seeing your woodchopper take down a badger or two is worth a million urists.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 09:59:56 am »

In the current versions, training weapons have no purpose as far as sparring is concerned - nobody ever gets hurt during sparring (unlike the old days). However, they can be used to beat up live targets for practice.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.