Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Delete the Fortress - Restore the region  (Read 1476 times)

Loon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Delete the Fortress - Restore the region
« on: April 29, 2011, 04:14:12 am »

Hi Folks,

I have just embarked at a wonderfull site and startet digging a bit. Since a lot of my friends asked for me to explain dwarf fortress to them and i didn't find an suitable article to show, i decided to write one on my one. While showing the basic game flow and the beauty of playing (and FUN) i will try to give a feel for the ASCI and what happens, by documenting everything with Stonesense, Pheobus and Overseer.

So the place i started was so nice, that i want to place my article THERE. But i have begun channeling the Cliff where i want my Fortress to stay. I'd realy like to show the first pictures without any chance to the envyronment. Now to my Question. Is is possible, to get my Fortress savegame out of my region save, so that the site where i started is like new?

Thanks for Help,
Loon

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Delete the Fortress - Restore the region
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 04:22:27 am »

if you push ESC and go to Export Local Image it will dump a file in your df directory with the world gen information for that world. Copy that into the worldgen file in init and you can regen a second copy of your world clean, just as it was. Then re-embark to get your screencaps :)
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

Loon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Delete the Fortress - Restore the region
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 04:40:10 am »

I'm trying at the moment. So when i have the world_gen data in my init folder, what to do then? Create a new world with this data?

edit/ yea seems to work.

edit/ works perfectly. Thanks for the fast and competent help.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 04:55:50 am by Loon »