Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More equipement !!science!!  (Read 575 times)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
More equipement !!science!!
« on: April 29, 2011, 07:55:49 am »

Another round of testing, looking at hammers vs maces

Each round:
10 grandmaster dwarves in full steel armor (with copper shield) using silver warhammers
vs
10 grandmaster dwarves in full steel armor (with copper shield) using silver maces

The warhammers win 9/10 rounds.
Soaplent green is goblins!

dragoncurse

• Bay Watcher
  • if patience.Huge = fortress.FUN.Huge
    • View Profile
Re: More equipement !!science!!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 08:12:02 am »

Because warhammers got better hit zone than maces. Besides, it's bluntness is also more concentrated.
Oh, and this

⑧ンマー⑧ンマー⑧ンマー⑧ンマー⑧ンマー
:3

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 08:14:40 am »

That's because arena dwarves are too weak to effectively use maces with there 800 size. I've recently done a test with 10Hammertrolls vs 10Macetrolls and maces won 4/4

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 10:20:35 am »

We have previously seen that with unarmored dwarfs, steel picks perform better than addy or silver picks and about as well as addy battle axes. This test had very different results, however, as picks are apparently not good against the same material of armor. (The combat logs report lots of deflection

Each round:
10 grandmaster dwarves in full steel armor (with copper shield) using silver warhammers
vs
10 grandmaster dwarves in full steel armor (with copper shield) using steel axepicks (picks modded to use the axe skill

The warhammers win 10/10 rounds.

To compare, I ran addy (to be deflected less) picks vs addy battle axes.

Each round:
10 grandmaster dwarves in full steel armor (with copper shield) using addy battle axes
vs
10 grandmaster dwarves in full steel armor (with copper shield) using addy axepicks (picks modded to use the axe skill

The picks win 7/10 rounds.

Steel picks get deflected by steel armor, but addy picks are not. On armor inferior to steel, the steel is not deflected and does better than the addy.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 12:49:44 pm »

That's consistent with my results. Material strength is important for getting through armour/bone, but more than required seems to benefit less than a heavier weapon. Turned up quite a bit for morningstars and scourges (which are quite good at getting through armour).

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 01:31:31 pm »

Hammers are better than maces, when given to average dwarves. In my experience, however, maces are better than hammers when given to strong/agile dwarves.