Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you deal with clothes?  (Read 1330 times)

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
How do you deal with clothes?
« on: April 27, 2011, 07:02:07 pm »

I was wondering how you handle clothes in your fortresses? In my past couple fortresses I've made clothes in the first two years or so, but they just end up cluttering up my armour stockpiles. Even though some of the dwarves have some pretty tattered clothing, they never think to dump their old stuff into the refuse stockpile and grab a new shirt / pair of socks.

I know I can go through the armour stockpiles line by line and only allow the protective kind of armour in them, but it seems that it would be more appropriate to have the clothing separated from the armour in the stocks screen. This would make it easier to find out if I have enough protective stuff to cover my military with. Or am I missing something here?

I've read about nudist fortresses before, but I'd rather find a way to have everyone at least protected from the elements.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: How do you deal with clothes?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 09:31:31 pm »

Clothing is buggy right now, the best way to deal with it is to never build clothes ever and let the clothes your current dwarves have rot off (make cloaks or cloth crafts for export if you want to sell the stuff, dwarves won't ever claim cloaks).

Yes, the thought of a fort full of completely naked dwarves is disturbing, but while they will claim any new clothes you make they will never put them on anyway. There's really nothing you can do about it.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Cromage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 11:13:16 pm »

Nudist fortresses are actually a bit of a liability in the recent versions, as clothing protects against certain Forgotten Beast toxins.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 12:09:12 am »

Nudist fortresses are actually a bit of a liability in the recent versions, as clothing protects against certain Forgotten Beast toxins.

I haven't done this yet myself but I'm told that you can get your dwarves to dress appropriately by creating two special uniforms - one with absolutely nothing, and one with normal clothes.

Then draft all your dwarves into "civilian" squads. When you want them to change clothes, assign them to the naked uniform and select 'replace clothes' rather than 'wear uniform over clothes'. You can then mark their old clothes for dumping and since they're not owned anymore they will dump them. When they've finished stripping, assign them the 'normal clothes' uniform and they should go out and find the best (new) clothes that match the template.

It's a somewhat management heavy approach but it ought to work. You don't need to bother with it until your fortress is several years old and the older dwarves are wearing damaged/disintegrating clothes.

Justin In Oz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 12:26:38 am »

They will all end up wearing exactly the same gear.

. . . and they will look like that mob that tried to hitch a ride on Hale Bop Comet a few years back.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 12:48:47 am »

They will all end up wearing exactly the same gear.

. . . and they will look like that mob that tried to hitch a ride on Hale Bop Comet a few years back.
not at all if use choose them to put on generic "socks" or "vests".
First ten or twenty of them will put on fancy clothes from  goblin weaponmasters and generals, if you happen to have those killed on your map, and other giant cave spider silk cloithing from goblins which i think is good due to better protettive properties of silk. 

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 01:00:11 am »

Caveat: hunters, miners and woodcutters won't obey because they have their own invisible uniform which overrides whatever squad uniform you give them.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.