Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pastures and dogs  (Read 1150 times)

bumblepuppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pastures and dogs
« on: April 27, 2011, 09:08:05 am »

After playing around with pastures, I figured I could try using them to limit the movement of my burgeoning dog population. Unfortunately, it seems that after being placed in a confined place they become aggressive, even biting my dwarves on a few occasions. Is this due to being put in a pasture or something else different?

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pastures and dogs
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 09:30:59 am »

It's due to being in overcrowded pastures, try to keep no more than four animals in a pasture and make them a reasonable size. At a guesstimate, I'd give non-grazers at least twenty squares each.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 09:35:32 am »

What would you do after being put at one,small table with like 17 other people trying to sit down and eat too?

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 01:53:38 pm »

What would you do after being put at one,small table with like 17 other people trying to sit down and eat too?

Starve, like a good little philosopher because I can't get both forks at the same time?

bumblepuppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 12:49:27 am »

Thanks, now I wish I could stick dwarven children in pastures too. They're over half the population of my fort and ruining jobs.  >:(

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 02:53:12 am »

If you'd like you can also make one tile sized pastures and place a single dog within each.  This appears to function similarly to a chain, save that the dog will not move unless someone else attempts to move through its tile or it sees something that makes it run to attack or flee.

You can place a whole slew of dogs, each to its own 1x1 tile all next to each other and forget about them until the puppy cycle spins round again, as long as they are side by side instead of stacked atop each other peace reigns nicely.

If something does trigger the penned dog to move this temporarily releases it from its pen.  If it's headed into a fight, any dwarves spotting it out of the pasture and wanting to lead it back will be scared off until the fight's over.  Otherwise sooner or later a dwarf will chase after it to return it to its spot.

Just dont use this method along a highly used pathway, because each time a dwarf attempts to step into a dog's pasture this will free the dog and may cause an endless chain of 'repasturing attempts'.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 02:55:18 am »

I make small niches in walls and place alligators/bears/other carnivore/omnivore creatures there in 1-tile pastures for my dwarves to look at and to guard the hallways.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository