Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Over 50% dwarves on break...  (Read 1238 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Over 50% dwarves on break...
« on: April 26, 2011, 03:46:37 pm »

Early summer of 1st year of embark, 4 of my starting 7 are simultaneously on break. Another one took a break before them. I guess I got bad dice rolls.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Over 50% dwarves on break...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 04:01:35 pm »

It's nothing to do with dice.

They all start out at "max" thirst, hunger, sleepiness, etc.

And these stats decay at the same rate in each dwarf (possibly affected by attributes, but I don't know)

After a while, they desynchronize due to happenstance of when they actually get to drink or eat etc.

Now I've doomed you to start noticing this behaviour in every new embark :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 04:04:03 pm by Reelyanoob »

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 04:10:33 pm »

I guess I got bad dice rolls.
Nope, they've just got an excellent, overzealous union.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 04:17:07 pm »

It's nothing to do with dice.

They all start out at "max" thirst, hunger, sleepiness, etc.

And these stats decay at the same rate in each dwarf (possibly affected by attributes, but I don't know)

After a while, they desynchronize due to happenstance of when they actually get to drink or eat etc.

Now I've doomed you to start noticing this behaviour in every new embark :)
I should clarify: they are specifically "On Break" which is separate to eating, sleeping or drinking. It's a very specific state of "I don't have biological needs to attend to but I'm still not going to work". Effectively, they've gone on strike on me in unison.
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 04:23:12 pm »

It's weird. It's also annoying how the dorfs on break happen to be the dwarves you need the most at that moment.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 04:24:48 pm »

While Reelyanoob's explanation doesn't cover this particular case, it is in fact essentially correct. Dwarves have a timer of sorts that determines when they go on break, and it starts at full on all your dwarves when you embark. How quickly this timer runs down (and thus when they take their breaks) is determined by one of their attributes - self-discipline, IIRC - but at the beginning the difference between your dwarves' break timers is usually minor, especially given that they probably have self-discipline ratings in the same general range with only relatively uncommon ones being abnormal. As time passes, their timers will indeed desynchronize.

While "when they actually get to eat/drink/sleep" does matter somewhat for how their other self-maintenance schedules' synchronization works out, other attributes, like toughness and, again, self-discipline affect it as well.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 05:05:42 pm »

I see, so the bad dice rolls were on how the stats happened to line up such that all of them would hit their "gotta procrastinate" timer at the same time given their slightly asynchronised sleep/eat/drink times making minor tweaks to the exact times.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 05:08:52 pm »

If they all had excellent self-discipline (longest possible time between breaks), you'd see this same behaviour. So you can't call it necessarily bad dice rolls. Might be all good rolls - the best possible.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 07:44:51 am »

The best way i have ever noticed everyone needing to eat/sleep/drink at the same time is everyone dying of dehydration at the same time, after walling them into a small hole :)

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 11:38:01 am »

The best way i have ever noticed everyone needing to eat/sleep/drink at the same time is everyone dying of dehydration at the same time, after walling them into a small hole :)
Dwarf Fortress:

Teaching you why cruelty is fun Fun.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 12:46:22 pm »

Dwarf Fortress:

Teaching you why cruelty is fun !!Fun!!.
Fixed that for you.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 01:39:49 pm »

It's weird. It's also annoying how the dorfs on break happen to be the dwarves you need the most at that moment.

Not that weird.  You notice the dwarves you really need being on break because you really need them.  When Urist McLyeMakerIdlerPartier goes on break you don't notice because you've got no use for him.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

JelloSnark

• Bay Watcher
  • Ever play Half-Life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 01:40:24 pm »

Maybe they are working to hard? Don't think I've ever seen a Dwarven Union before, but there's a first time for everything!
Beware... while my screen-name has 'Snark' in it, I am actually Snarky.
Hehe
'Nom Nom Nom'
God of god of god.