Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Member, Help ;D  (Read 510 times)

Tahlin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Member, Help ;D
« on: April 27, 2011, 03:38:11 pm »

Hello! Recently i noticed the charm of dwarf fortress and started playing it, i've not came very long. Actually only almost a year. But i've got a pair of questions:
1: I've heard of goblin sieges and people have been telling stories of bronze colossuses and titans breathing fire. When does this start? How do i become ready for it?
2: How does civilizations work? Can i actually send out armies for raiding cities and such stuff? Consider this question how to move different territories.
3: How does fishing work?
4: I want to do a refuse pit, how do i do one? And can the dwarves throw the refuse down in it, or do i have to make a ramp down?
5: if there's any newbie tips you could leave for me, please do :D.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: New Member, Help ;D
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 03:49:32 pm »

Hello! Recently i noticed the charm of dwarf fortress and started playing it, i've not came very long. Actually only almost a year. But i've got a pair of questions:
1: I've heard of goblin sieges and people have been telling stories of bronze colossuses and titans breathing fire. When does this start? How do i become ready for it?
2: How does civilizations work? Can i actually send out armies for raiding cities and such stuff? Consider this question how to move different territories.
3: How does fishing work?
4: I want to do a refuse pit, how do i do one? And can the dwarves throw the refuse down in it, or do i have to make a ramp down?
5: if there's any newbie tips you could leave for me, please do :D.
1. You must have atl east 80 dwarves and you'll need to export / import a certain amount of money, and you fortress wealth also attracts goblins.
Ambushes will come sooner but the wealthier your fortress the sooner
2, There is no way to do that
3. I have no idea, but enabling thr fishing labor should make the fishers fish I guess
4. With 'I' you can create a zone and with 'g' you make it a garbage dump. Dwarves will place dumped stuff there but if there is a hole in the zone try will throw it in the hole. For refuse you need to build a refuse stockpile, refuse is what you get if you kill or butcher someone
5. Sela of the caverns :P

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 03:55:12 pm »

to add a few things to what Dutchling said:
1.I know from experience that the 80 pop & wealth does not count for forgotten beast attacks, as I had these with as few as 25 dwarves.
Also you can sometimes embark on a site with a natural cave(on the surface), in which some nasties might dwell.
2.There is no way to do that... yet! It's planned for future releases(like, maybe a year or two in the future, that is)
3.Just enable the fishing labour. You might want to designate a fishing zone(with {i}), so that e.g.your dwarves will fish in the river, and not in a fishless murky pool which just so happens to be closer.
5.Check the wiki - http://df.magmawiki.com/

Tahlin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 03:58:05 pm »

I think you misunderstood me on the garbage pit, I meant like. A big hole :D How do i do that? Thanks for all the other answers tough.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 04:10:47 pm »

You want them to dump things to a lower z-level?

In that case, channel out a hole and designate a garbage zone on the level above (the level the dwarves are on).  They throw dumped items into it. 

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 04:19:00 pm »

You'll need a dwarf with the fishing labour enabled, a fishing zone designated through the i menu, a stockpile that accepts fish and you'll want a fishery as well, so you can get shells from turtles and mussels. Check what's in the river first, look for any wild fish in the units menu, carp, pike, things like that. These can spook your dwarves and cause them to fall in the water, so set up i zones to fish from pools if they're about. The actually fish you catch are vermin that don't frighten dwarves.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 07:09:10 pm by Nidokoenig »

Tryble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 04:37:09 pm »

You want them to dump things to a lower z-level?

In that case, channel out a hole and designate a garbage zone on the level above (the level the dwarves are on).  They throw dumped items into it.

Just as an elucidation to this comment:  When you have a one-tile garbage activity zone marked, the dwarves dump items onto that tile.  BUT, if that garbage zone is touching a tile of Open Space, the dwarves'll stand on that tile and toss the items down the open space, instead.  So digging yourself a pit and putting a dump zone next to it will let you toss all your useless stuff there more easily.  If you dig the pit down to magma you can permanently dispose of any melty things more or less safely.

Of course, this applies to activity zones marked as garbage zones, not refuse piles.  Refuse piles are stockpiles that take body parts and other rotting organic stuff.