Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My archers hate me  (Read 834 times)

Caskman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
My archers hate me
« on: April 25, 2011, 07:08:50 pm »

Ok so I created a squad of marksdwarves, set their weapon to crossbows and I confirmed that they have them equipped.  I set their ammunition to be wooden bolts for training, and I built an archery range and used one of the targets to create the room.  I set the direction, set that marksdwarves squad to train there...and they're not training there.  For each of them, it says they can't follow these orders.  Anybody got a solution???

Thanks guys
 reject your reality and substitute my own

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
Re: My archers hate me
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 07:20:23 pm »

1. Make sure they have Quivers
2. Pray to Armok that they decide to train
3. Tell them to kill wildlife.  With wood/bone bows they make wildlife suffer horribly while they fill them with bolts.  Repeat until they kill wildlife in a reasonable amount of time.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 07:28:10 pm »

Don't bother with training. Just build an equal number of crossbows and quivers. They cannot carry ammo without a quiver.

Make your marksdwarf barracks in a location with a good vantage point, so any invaders will need to go right by them, allowing the marksdwarves to freely fire at any invaders.

Set them to active/training all the time.

They will very quickly skill up with live fire training, and in large numbers even rookie marksdwarves can quickly take down a siege or megabeasts with ease. 50 marksdwarves will give a massive weight of fire even if they are unskilled. Your marksdwarves will then close in to melee to finish off any survivors, but by the time they run out of ammo the attackers should be either dead or incapacitated.

Caskman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 07:31:30 pm »

Sweet thanks guys :) can't wait till this gets patched
 reject your reality and substitute my own

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 12:45:50 am »

Actually the simplest trick to getting them to train is to assign one or two archery ranges (must be at least 5+ tiles long), make sure the direction is correct and then assign your squad to train.

Then comes the important part

Take them OFF duty. Meaning "Inactive" vs "Active/training"

This will actually make them train without fail.

You will quickly see dwarves training in their spare time, between jobs.  I think the reason is not a bug, but that "active/training" refers to the same  "Organize biting exercize" type stuff melee guys use.  Archers can't do that kind of training at a range, and thus they will either ignore the order, or meet at a weapon rack to practice crossbow bashing.  Which is useful for a leet squad already good at shooting, but not what you are looking for.

Assign the archers to range, set them to inactive and you'd better be making bolts, cause they will use all of them
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 12:48:56 am by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 01:05:10 am »

The alternative is to put them in 1-man squads. Some of the time they'll have "soldier cannot follow order" (because they're thinking of doing demonstrations) but leave them alone and they'll shoot the target sometimes.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 01:28:33 am »

I have a lot of well trained archers at my fort and can share my experience.

The reason they can't follow orders, is because they are trying to train skills besides archery and have no barracks to train them at. If they are off duty and have nothing else to do they will only practice archery. Keeping them off duty is a bad idea because other combat skills matter too, armor skill for example is very important if you want them to be able to catch up with goblin thieves.

You're also going to enjoy equipment mismatch messages if you use a lot of archers no matter what. What happens is that a dwarf will be going to grab standard quality bolts, but before he gets them you may end up producing a high quality stack of bolts which will cause him to change his mind about the bolts he wants (equipment mismatch). The common knowledge that you need to allocate 1000 arrows is wrong. You just need 25 arrows or so allocated per dwarf in the squad. You actually get less equipment mismatch messages when you allocate less arrows. If you go into the ammunition screen and view assigned arrows for your squad it will be more obvious what is going on.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 03:56:25 am »

Leave the archers and their targets alone and they'll eventually train every now and then.

But the best bet on getting them to shoot quiver after quiver of bolts until your crafters can't keep up is a live target, preferably one that doesn't die from crossbow fire. Bronze Colossi, FBs made of ice or rock or metal, etc.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Tjolme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 05:44:03 am »

I've found if you make one large room with lots of targets then most of the dwarves won't use it. However, making all the targets into their own little room and setting the squad to use all the rooms gets a lot more of them shooting at the targets.

You also need an unobstructed path to the target. So no firing over trenches, through fortications etc.