Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Purging the dead?  (Read 683 times)

Vhorthex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Medieval Nerd - Youtube Page
Purging the dead?
« on: April 26, 2011, 11:19:12 am »

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if there was a way to clear the deceased list in the units? I mean, I've been playing this fort for 10 years (dwarf time :P) and let me tell you, the list is insanely long. I just have a feeling that it's not helping with the FPS's lol.

Can I clear it manually?
Vhorthex
Patience is a virtue.

Miss old PC-DOS gamse? Check out my YouTube page for 10 Minute videos of ye olde games!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMedievalNerd?feature=mhum

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Purging the dead?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 11:41:35 am »

I avoid hunting, butchery and big animal herds in my recent forts for this reason, but it still grows way too fast.

Really? I need separate listing for every tame goat I ever slaughter?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 11:41:51 am »

No.  In Dwarf fortress every creature that has ever died is on that list forever.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 11:58:23 am »

Maybe abandon and reclaim would be the only way to clean this up. Using DFLair (part of DFHack) so things don't get messed up.

I'd demolish all my corpses + those in the graveyard before this though.

What would be really nice though, is an app which extracts all your dwarves' data, then injects them into another map. Possibly taking pets too.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 12:02:27 pm by Reelyanoob »

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 12:21:18 pm »

Maybe abandon and reclaim would be the only way to clean this up. Using DFLair (part of DFHack) so things don't get messed up.

I'd demolish all my corpses + those in the graveyard before this though.

What would be really nice though, is an app which extracts all your dwarves' data, then injects them into another map. Possibly taking pets too.
CAT.exe virus. It will catsplosion across multiverses!  :o

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 12:46:23 pm »

I don;t think there is a solution but Dead creatures do not cause FPS issues because they are simply a name on a list and do not actually do anything. Ghosts are a different story though >.>

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 01:19:49 pm »

It could at least condense down the listings for un-named animals, .e.g "36 dead kittens" rather than pages of un-named dead kittens.
I might even relish my "kitten count" if that was the case.

Or, maybe have categories which expand out, so you can see the total of dead goblins, and expand the list if you want to, to see names.

Thank god it doesn't track vermin.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 01:26:49 pm by Reelyanoob »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 01:23:20 pm »

It could at least condense down the listings for un-named animals, .e.g "36 dead kittens" rather than pages of un-named dead kittens.

Thank god it doesn't track vermin.

Only 36 dead kittens for you example? :o Please. I kill 'em 50 at a go.

(This is a Good Idea and you should feel good.)

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 01:25:39 pm »

My example was only for baby cats. "Dead cats" would be a separate listing.

And with the breeding caps, how are you getting 50 kittens on map at once other than embarking like that (or embarking with 49 females)?