Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: I'm starting to think that brewing is a terrible idea.  (Read 5021 times)

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'm starting to think that brewing is a terrible idea.
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2011, 08:20:31 am »

Dwarfs with beer, on the other hand, would head over for a drink...then stay there until they got hungry or wanted to go to bed.

I have NEVER seen this. EVER. I do have multiple food stockpiles at important locations throughout my fortresses though. They all have booze, which is as it should be
Huh, same.

Are you sure that is not a meeting area? That would explain that behaviour, and not the booze.

Dwarves who didn't have a drink start to work much slower, so I wouldn't recommend it if you can help it.

Doesn't explain why wells are so instantaneous.
Only if there's the water right under the well. If there are a few Z levels, the bucket will go down and up for a REALLY long period of time. Always try to build your wells on top of a water :).

But deep wells make dwarves happy when they use them!  (At least they used to)

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2011, 10:11:47 am »

Dwarfs with beer, on the other hand, would head over for a drink...then stay there until they got hungry or wanted to go to bed.

I have NEVER seen this. EVER. I do have multiple food stockpiles at important locations throughout my fortresses though. They all have booze, which is as it should be
Huh, same.

Are you sure that is not a meeting area? That would explain that behaviour, and not the booze.

Dwarves who didn't have a drink start to work much slower, so I wouldn't recommend it if you can help it.

Only if there's the water right under the well. If there are a few Z levels, the bucket will go down and up for a REALLY long period of time. Always try to build your wells on top of a water :).
Yeah, I made it a meeting area, but that really doesn't explain why they spend so much time there when they have work to do. People seem to be really hung up on this notion that I don't realize I made it a meeting area, when I made it a meeting area knowing full well that dwarves would linger there. It's kind of the point. My issue is that I feel they spend too much time drinking booze.

I've almost missed caravans before from this, because my mayor would just chill there, getting his drink on for nearly a half month, then going to sleep or grabbing some dinner. All the while, I've got a bunch of tree huggers waiting on him to go over and close the deal on some wooden shoes or whatever. Maybe I should load a video up on youtube, because there's a few different issues I have with my current fort. Among the most irritating is the sudden refusal my dwarves have in putting cages in my animal stockpiles. A problem I originally didn't have on this embark.

It's really weird. In the beginning of this fort, I don't remember them drinking this long. Maybe I just broke something in the game.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2011, 11:40:33 am »

Are they "on break" or things like that? Are they partying? Both are things they do in meeting zones regardless of booze.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2011, 01:07:43 pm »

I see no problem with this whatsoever.  Each and every dwarf requires alcohol to get throught the day.  its a given.  That means they are all alcoholics.  Alcoholics to not drink one beer and go home/goto work.  They drink, drink some more, drink a whole shit load more, top it off with a little more, and then goto sleep.  If there is no alcohol and all there is to drink is water from a well, dont be surprised if all they do is tak a few sips and go "Ffflleeegghhhh, thats nasty" and consume only what is required before shuffling off to their labor and drudgeries.  It seems to me you are upset that your dwarves are behaving so dwarvenly.  Also, if your mayor cant go talk to elves cuz he is too busy drinking, build a god damn monument in his name for being such a paragon of dwarfiness.  Also, you can always designate someone else to speak with the pointy eared bastards, not that any self respecting dwarf would want to.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 02:57:10 am by Gorjo MacGrymm »
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2011, 03:06:44 pm »

Edit : read more posts and my initial post seemed irrelevant.

Are their dwarves drinking from a high percentage of the barrels at once? You said 50-60 barrel stockpile and at least 50 dwarves drinking. That means there's other dwarves waiting to get a turn, getting even thirstier while they wait. Hence, a queue is forming of very thirsty dwarves.

If they all have blue arrows it means they can't get the drinks fast enough, not that they are drinking. Often you'll see a dwarf drinking and no blue arrow, I assume this is when the dwarf go to the barrel when his thirst was not too high yet. The guy going to the well is also a sign of too few barrels. Try have 100 barrels at least, so there's no wait.

Guys who have to wait to drink are becoming further dehydrated, so maybe the single drink isn't filling them all the way up. They work slower if they drink water, then may have to drink again sooner than otherwise. You should have at least 10 times the dwarves in alcohol servings, probably 20 times (at least 1 11x11 stockpile - 1 barrel per dwarf is the failsafe)

I go up to 200 dwarves, never get more than 20 drinking at once.

Also note: when dwarves are spawned, their drink level is set to default, so your initial 7 all get thirsty/tired/hungry etc at the same time, as probably do migrant waves etc  After a while this goes out of sync, due to different movements of the dwarves etc but it's a phenomena which does exist, so you need to cater for peak consumption.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 03:36:13 pm by Reelyanoob »

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2011, 03:43:43 pm »

My next target is going to be taking care of the "angry from long shift, angry from relief from duty" nonsense that happens at the same time with about 5% of my military. So far, I've just solved the problem by dropping them in magma. It's not worth keeping them around once they start that nonsense, because the problem is entirely cyclical until they go insane. Best to get rid of them before they get military training.
I heard that kicks in at 4 months of active duty. Just give them every 4th month off, and rotate it so there's always 1 squad off-duty.

I can't believe you magma your guys because you didn't give them a holiday.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2011, 03:49:36 pm »

Just crosstrain them, man!
Give them no labour but Pump Operator. Training Pump room. The off-duty guys will go straight to the pump room and do that every month they are off-duty. Turning them into legendary pump operators as well as soldiers. Pump operator also trains some stats up. Avoids the bad thoughts, and takes no further player involvement, once you set up the rotations in the training schedule.

And btw the fort's only booze stockpile shouldn't be a meeting area, it'd be crowded with any stray animals not in a pasture, dwarves on break etc, further slowing the drinkers. Which locks up the barrels longer, meaning less can drink at once, and more queueing. Many of the blue arrows may be idle dwarves who want a drink, not drinkers, and they're getting in the way of the drinkers, further delaying themselves getting a drink. Non-alcohol dwarves take either longer or more frequent breaks, one or the other i think. So, you can see a vicious-cycle forming if those on break congregate right on top of the barrels.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 04:20:34 pm by Reelyanoob »

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2011, 03:54:24 pm »

Huh, same.

And when you try and reclaim the fortress, you won't be able to see those long seconds of horror in the magician's face when the hobbit pushes the dwarf skeleton into the well by mistake !

The skeleton would just fall into the water with a big "sploosh" and the hobbit would be covered in water and all the grandiose of the scene would have been lost. Ah, so much is sacrificed for efficiency ! Think about the scene ! Think about how the style ! Style is important !

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2011, 05:52:22 pm »

Huh, same.

And when you try and reclaim the fortress, you won't be able to see those long seconds of horror in the magician's face when the hobbit pushes the dwarf skeleton into the well by mistake !

The skeleton would just fall into the water with a big "sploosh" and the hobbit would be covered in water and all the grandiose of the scene would have been lost. Ah, so much is sacrificed for efficiency ! Think about the scene ! Think about how the style ! Style is important !
lol

Awesome.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2011, 10:21:53 am »

Even if you don't use a modded race that isn't alcohol dependent, alcohol is somewhat of a luxury. However, I don't think I've ever had a problem with significant lost productivity due to dwarves taking their time to enjoy their wine.

This is how I see it.  when I'm drinking water to hydrate myself, I just get the job done.  when i'm drinking alcohol, I enjoy the experience.

You could use burrows to create a drinking class and a non-drinking class, though.  That could be interesting, if the loosers making cheap stone blocks or working in the fields had to sleep in dorms and drink from wells.  but the legendary smith and the warriors enjoyed the dining hall and the booze stockpiles.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 12:40:53 pm by puke »

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2011, 06:33:32 pm »

I'm currently playing a boozeless fort and I have noticed this too. When they go to the well (which is basically just sitting above the river) it takes them only a split second to drink. When they go to get some booze they hang around with the barrel for quite a while before finishing drinking. I never had a problem with them wasting time though, because it only takes a few dwarves to keep the fort running so I don't care about efficiency. 

The only thing I can think of that would cause a problem is if I'm not producing enough booze to meet demand. That would probably cause a lot of crowding over the little that's available. Especially when each barrel stores 5 booze but only 1 dwarf can access it if 5 get thirsty at the same time. What's your booze count compared to your dwarf count? I always try to have 10 times the amount of dwarves in the fort.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2011, 06:28:49 am »

Especially when each barrel stores 5 booze but only 1 dwarf can access it if 5 get thirsty at the same time. What's your booze count compared to your dwarf count? I always try to have 10 times the amount of dwarves in the fort.
This. Divide your current booze by 3-4, and you get the REAL amount of dwarves you have the booze for.

It's not 5 since dwarves don't drink at the same time, but still they drink quite often so better safe than sorry.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2011, 09:50:24 pm »

Don't forget that each booze barrel holds (plant stack size times 5) of alcohol. So a very skilled farmer = > brewer gives more like 25-30 servings per barrel. 5 per barrel is only at the start of the fortress.
Pages: 1 2 [3]