Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Maximizing mineral variety  (Read 591 times)

NikkTheTrick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Maximizing mineral variety
« on: May 11, 2011, 08:55:35 am »

Hi all!

I tried playing around with mineral scarcity, but results I got are kinda werid:

I either get none of a certain metal, or I get tons and tons of it. There is either no magnetite on the map at all or every title on the map contains a full cluster of it.

What I think is happening is that mineral abundance is constant throughout a given biome (or even several biomes) resulting in every embark tile being essentially the same.

I want to play a fort where there is every kind of metal somewhere, but I have to dig a lot to get it. Is there a way to avoid current "overabundance or none at all" situation?
Dwarf Fortress- where nightmare fuel is recycled into business plan.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Maximizing mineral variety
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 09:13:58 am »

Not really, the best you can do is set your mineral scarcity setting to maximize the amounts present.  That being said, layers with more stone types and more metals might produce more variety...although there are issues with that (e.g. the same metal in two types of stone, or IIRC cobaltite being considered a "metal" for this purpose).
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.