Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crushing trap?  (Read 798 times)

sinoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sinoth.net
Crushing trap?
« on: March 28, 2008, 04:29:00 pm »

I just made a one-story enclosed building (outer walls + floor on top) and filled the building with floodgates.  Hooked them all up to a lever, and lured a dwarf inside.  Unfortunately, instead of a nice crushing machine, the floodgate that the dwarf is on top of just doesn't activate when the lever is pulled, and gets out of sync with the other gates.

This might be normal, since there could be space between the top of a floodgate and the floor above, so it wouldn't necessarily smoosh anything.  But I was hoping it would :'(

Anyone have suggestions for what I'm trying to do?  I think a bridge inside a room might be able to emulate a nice crushing machine.

[i do not regret]

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crushing trap?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 04:36:00 pm »

Floodgates (and doors) don't crush large items like dwarves or giant cave spider silk socks.  For that, you'll need a drawbridge.

Thingy Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Disemboweld
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 07:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by benoit.hudson:
<STRONG>Floodgates (and doors) don't crush large items like dwarves or giant cave spider silk socks.</STRONG>

You must not forget the monarch butterfly corpses, They have been the downfall of many a fortress.

[ March 28, 2008: Message edited by: Thingy Master ]

Butcher Jackson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 02:51:00 am »

The drawbridge machine is far easier to implement than multiple floodgates (which don't work anyway), but has the distinct drawback of utterly destroying anything it crushes (no corpses, no gear, no nothing).  While this can be very useful (as a Rock Crusher for excess stone) it might not always be desirable.

Another alternative is upright spike traps.  Same amount of work as the FGs, but far deadlier.

should just start a thread called "Butcher''s endless string of modding questions"

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 06:29:00 am »

Or a magma flow that comes from the floor above, toggleable with a lever, over a steel grate. Extermination and no mess.
Magma is overrated.