Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Migrants, only Breeding!  (Read 765 times)

DarkGenesis

• Bay Watcher
  • Darkness Shall Rise
    • View Profile
No Migrants, only Breeding!
« on: April 26, 2011, 04:54:15 am »

I sometimes feel the migration system can be a blessing and a curse, like when I finally finish my epic bedrooms for my dwarves, all the jobs are evenly managed and I've got 0-2 idlers and everyone is happy, BAM another 30 migrants come. Of course if any of those migrants bring some awesome skills that is a boon, but I'm sick and tired of getting 5 dabbling soapmakers in that large group.

This got me to thinking if there was anyway to turn off migration, and thus only gain dwarves through reproduction? I know you can change the population cap, but that stops breeding too as far as I know. I think this would be an interesting way to play by making dwarves hook up and slowly gain population overtime and tailor those children into masters of their profession instead of the random awkward sudden bursts of increase in population?

If completely turning off migration isn't an option, is there anyway to put some limits on it? I'd much rather get smaller migration waves. I know I've stopped playing many saves because I suddenly gain a huge amount of dwarves ranging from 30-40 and I just don't want to sort through their professions, make them rooms, assign each of those rooms......

Hoping theres some mod, or some textfile that can achieve this?

Thank you.

~DG

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Migrants, only Breeding!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 05:07:08 am »

you could build a massive wall around your fortress and kill any that make it inside.
nobody of great interest

i have a crap tumblr page. i usually post art but my scanner is down. http://www.tumblr.com/blog/heygofuckadog

Befenismor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 05:10:17 am »

There's over 9000 threads on this subject.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=82940.0
1024: You brag about your golden goblin ejaculator.

DarkGenesis

• Bay Watcher
  • Darkness Shall Rise
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 05:27:32 am »