Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: iron ores  (Read 876 times)

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
iron ores
« on: April 25, 2011, 12:22:09 pm »

Ok another question from a returning player.

What are the chances of finding iron ore if it isn't on your embark?  I'm in a mountain of chert but haven't found any with much exploration.  Pretty much re-embark to ever make weapons and such?

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: iron ores
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 12:30:32 pm »

Goblins bring plenty, and Dwarven traders bring that plus steel. Use silver for warhammers and Xbows, copper/bronze for armour till you collect enough iron/steel, then upgrade the armour, leather and cloth layers/armour help too. It's not hard to buy out the caravans with master cooking or cloth crafts/clothing, use cage traps for the goblins, strip them down of weapons only while caged (leave them in armour), then pit them to fight your military. Put lots of your guys in, but armed with training weapons, you get more skill XP that way.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 12:35:18 pm by Reelyanoob »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 01:39:44 pm »

You cannot build silver crossbows. You can only buy them from humans.

Copper ones, however...

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 03:48:15 pm »

Iron ores are common enough; if looking for one, you'll find it in some quantity most of the time. My last couple of embarks didn't have any that I found, but I wasn't looking. The embark before had massive quantities of magnetite - I could just keep digging, and it was three or four z-levels as well.
In short, just keep looking. If you only care about making weapons, re-embark, but the other sources listed should be good enough.