Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: STARVATION (legends)  (Read 442 times)

Magnut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
STARVATION (legends)
« on: April 28, 2011, 03:58:12 pm »

Got some custom civilizations mucking around, basicallly propping up some of the above-ground animalmen with a little more substance.  Worked fine in previous versions.

I genned up a new world (3.23), and fired up Legends to poke around at how everyone's faring in the primeval times, and I notice something bizarre: all the custom races are dying off from starvation, entire sites all at once.

I can't find anything amiss in the entity raws - they're largely copied over from the human default ones (who are NOT starving in Legends) and then nudged around a little. 

I have a few half-baked theories:

1.  Farms as world structures are hardcoded, and only the vanilla races can build them in the new economy model. (No [WORLD_CONSTRUCTION:FARM] tokens to give out).
2.  One of the races is big (body size), and similar to how elephants can't sustain themselves in the new versions, maybe they just can't produce food fast enough to survive?
3.  Another of the races is carnivorous, so I didn't bother giving them access to the farming professions.  They have hunting, butchering, and fishing/fish cleaning, however.  Maybe that's not enough in worldgen?

I humbly submit this for Expert Consideration(tm).

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: STARVATION (legends)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 05:01:02 pm »

I've struggled with this, and I can tell you a few things that it is NOT, and a few things that will cause this every time.

Carnivores and Bone Eaters - Unless given [NO_EAT][NO_DRINK], these guys will starve as a race, every time.  Giving them animals to eat does nothing to stop their deaths, as butchery doesn't seem to happen in world-gen

Cave Dwellers - If an entity race lives in a cave, they will starve to death.  Any race that likes dwelling in caves, and has creatures move there, will have those creatures starve, guaranteed.  Something about caves and the game not giving them foodstuffs or the ability to farm.

Dark Fortresseers - The Above goes for Dark Fortress races, as well. (Although they seem to be able to get some food from indoor farming)

Farming - Farms only work for Mountain Homes or Cities.  To a degree, outdoor farming works for Forest Retreats, but the yield is much lower.  Not everyone will starve in a Forest Retreat, but they cannot have high populations without death.

Trading - Food will be traded back and forth between connected cities.  If all the food in a region is gone, it seems the TOWN they are connected to starves as they sell all the food they can get, while the farming hamlets eek out a subsistence farming living.

Overall - These problems are occuring because Toady implemented worldgen starvation without completing the caravan arc.  It's being worked on now, but we're only in Release 1 of the Caravan Arc.  Once it's farther along, goods distribution and usage of available resources should be much better.  Be patient, grasshoppah.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 05:03:39 pm by Jeoshua »
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Magnut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 05:34:35 pm »

Extremely helpful.  The carnivores are cave dwellers, so that's apparently a double whammy.

Still not so sure about the herbivorous big guys, but I'll try to force them into Cities instead of forest retreats (I think I pushed animalmen towards those, because they felt CLOSER to "primitive natural settlement".)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 06:08:17 pm »

You could give the "big guys" cities with a very low population cap.  That would stop them from having big towns, and generally living more in hamlets.  I believe that if the cities are not allowed to get past 80, they won't form Townships with the shops and all. Of course, the limit works much like the limit for fortress size in the init files - It will go over by a few migrations, every time. Only problem there is the smaller the allowed size of a town, the sooner they want to move out to form a new hamlet.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.