Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Obsidian Fortress  (Read 1093 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Obsidian Fortress
« on: April 23, 2011, 10:42:44 am »

I just found a great embark site. As near as I can tell, the volcano (its lava at ground level, with low sides) is very near, on one side, to a large underground body of water. As a result, there are high amounts of obsidian at ground level. Underground, the volcano is "made" of obsidian, but I can't tell how far out this radiates.

I plan to harvest and smooth the obsidian, creating  a small, multi-level dwarven city out of obsidian blocks suspended above the volcano. Mining operations have already commenced.

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian Fortress
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 01:26:44 pm »

Not bad.... You can make obsidian swords for the whole experience! Try carving out the city instead? Building it block by obsidian block is kinda slow imo.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 01:30:52 pm »

You can also create molds and pump stacks, and cast your own tower.  I recommend pouring both magma and water in from the top of the mold, and alternating floors.  For instance, your first floor is water that has magma dropped onto it.  Let the magma convert all the water, then let it build up a little more until there's 2-deep magma on every new floor tile.  Then turn off the magma pump and turn on the water until there's 2-deep water all over the new floor.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  I use manual pumping so when I tell them to stop, they stop, and don't muck about sending someone over to the lever.

I've only done it with an 8x8 tower for noble quarters, but the only difference in labor is setting up the size of the mold.  It can then be carved, smoothed, and engraved inside and out.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 04:14:45 pm »

As soon as I saw the volcano, obsidian casting popped into mind, but that's still a little beyond me; I've just started working with pumps.
As for the building, I plan to make enough space for stockpiles and (very) basic industries, then build up to make living quarters and other unnecessary commodities.
The raw main entrance and pathway to the trade depot are almost finished, so it should start to get quicker. Migrants (AKA Honorary Masons) should also begin piling in.

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 04:22:28 pm »

You don't need pumps to cast obsidian if you don't care much about engravings, tunnel in to the side of the volcano and have it fill one pit, have your water source come in from above, use floodgates to block the flow so you can mine it out. Sorted. Might not be the most efficient way but it works. You won't be able to engrave the walls if you do it this way though as you'll have to build the fort with masons.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 04:25:21 pm by Darkweave »

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 04:28:01 pm »

That's a great idea; thanks! As far as I can tell so far, there's a giant obsidian pocket to the side of the volcano, extending down several z-levels. I don't think I'll run out any time soon, but that'd be a great way to make more.