Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: food problems  (Read 784 times)

Arihim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
food problems
« on: April 23, 2011, 12:33:55 am »

I'm having this problem where im producing so much plump helmet that it's taking up all my barrels. I can't produce any booze because all the barrels have plump helmets in them!  What stratergies do you guys use to deal with feeding your dwarves ? Does anyone build forts that consume foods other than plump helmet ?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: food problems
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 12:38:43 am »

Stop planting plump helmets once you have around 100 or so. Then stop the dwarves from making booze out of them (that gives you like 9001 dwarven wine and about 5 of one other kind of booze).
Also, don't use barrels. Use rock pots. The skill (stonecrafting) is useful for making mugs for trade, you'll probably never run out of stone, and you can use them for brewing. The only downsides are that you can't process plants to barrels using them.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 01:42:11 am »

I usually only produce plump helmets in one of my smaller farm plots, and then only in winter (other seasons go to quarry bushes). My main food supply is quarry bush leaf roasts, often flavored with the meat or organs of whatever carnivorous creatures I can get my hands on. So yes, at least one person makes forts that consume foods other than plump helmets. When I play modded games where my people aren't alcohol-dependent, I'll usually try to make my fort eat nothing but meat and no have farms at all! More challenging initially and takes more micromanagement, but that's all just more fun.

To feed and booze my dwarves, I typically have 3 farm plots, one large at about 20-25 tiles and 2 small at about 8-15. One dwarf is a planter and does nothing else, everyone harvests. The large plot produces sweet pods, pig tails, and cave wheat, depending on the season; these are used for booze. One of the smaller plots produces dimple cups and pig tails, with the products mostly going to the textile industry. The other smaller plot produces quarry bushes 3 seasons a year and plump helmets over the winter, and is my primary food supply. If necessary, I'll switch plump helmets on the large plot's winter schedule, which normally lies fallow. Once my farmer hits legendary, they can easily keep all ~40 plot tiles full, and produces ample amounts for even very large forts.

My stills tend to primarily make dwarven ale, since pig tails are most abundant, but dwarven wine is also common since plump helmets produce so fast. I avoid milling sugar or flour when I can, though it's somewhat difficult as you can't restrict that as easily as I'd like, so rum and beer is also readily available. As far as food goes, quarry bushes processed into leaves then cooked into roasts satisfies gustatory needs, though I'll usually slaughter the occasional animal and cook it into my roasts as well.

Overall, eating just plump helmets is for newbies; it's easy to feed and booze a fort on the shrooms, but once you're experienced enough, it's unnecessary. If you want practice with food management, you might try modding the game so that you're controlling a CARNIVOROUS race; being unable to use the mostly fire-and-forget farming system is good training. Also, removing ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT so you can drink water without penalty is helpful, as it means you can drop out farming altogether.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 04:31:28 am »

Press "p" "+" to open the stockpile screen and increase the number of reserved barrels. Then they'll always keep that many barrels empty to be brewed into. And yes, I use all available food sources; all plump helmets is boring, for me and my dwarfs.

Arihim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 06:02:07 am »

p + open.. ? face palm.. you can make jugs out of stone? double face palm

lol

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 03:03:45 pm »

Actually, it's [p] +
  • to add reserved barrels. Also, while you CAN make jugs out of stone, the barrel replacements are large rock pots.

If I'm interpreting your facepalm correctly (you're facepalming because supposedly, you can't make pots out of stone), then go to the craftsdwarf's shop. Go to "rock". Large rock pots are somewhere down the line.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."