Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: What is it that makes the DF community so...  (Read 3974 times)

du3lingdragon

• Bay Watcher
  • only robots will eat your babies
    • View Profile
Re: What is it that makes the DF community so...
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2011, 09:23:47 pm »

Id have to agree with Deon on average age. Unlike most forums there are just as many young people, myself included, as old people. Most forums skip that second component, especially with minecraft. Also few mere mortals have the courage to face the great wall of learning, tthus those that pass have faced one of the most severe  inductions into any mysterious cult.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2011, 09:41:13 pm »

Let alone the monumental task of moding this game.  I've been working on my personal set of mods for months and I've yet to get down to playing anything more than Adventurer mode or a Test fort or two.  Most of my time is spent looking through Legends mode, finding a problem, searching the raws, trying to fix it, then going back and doing the whole thing all over again.

It's fun tho  :D
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2011, 05:03:43 am »

I have to argue that single player doesn't filter anything out. I play Supreme Commander online, and the chat room is pretty polite there, SC has an insane learning curve.

The more complex a game, the better, always.

I must say I agree. I also frequent the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. -subforums of the Steampowered Users Forum (SPUF), and it is also quite civil. The reason may well be that it is one of the hardest FPS-games ever made, and you can't just play it like an average FPS game. You try, you die. In a way a lot like Dwarf Fortress, and I have seen people comparing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. to DF there on multiple occasions.

STALKER and Dwarf Fortress have the same idea of fun: they both beat you in the head with it until you have brain damage.

You know, that was one of those games I just narrowly avoided buying because of reading up on how buggy the whole thing was.  Maybe I should look back into it...

It is buggy, true, but if you download the Complete-mods for all of them there are much fewer bugs.

And honestly speaking, I think it is the best game ever made, with Dwarf Fortress being a narrow second.

Just my opinion though, some people may think otherwise.

You just posted that, on the dwarf fortress forums.

prep the magma guys.

I saw that coming. And I stand by what I said, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is more immersive, has a much higher chance for Fun, more !!zombies!! and... it has Bloodsuckers...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2011, 10:15:47 am »

Since it has been mentioned, though it will have to be moved to the Modding board, a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. mod would be awesome, especially for Adventure Mode. Bloodsuckers man... they would be really nasty to encounter in DF. Ambush spam. I don't know how anomalies would be added though.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 10:17:19 am by Itnetlolor »

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2011, 05:52:44 pm »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:09:48 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2011, 06:29:49 pm »

Look at us. We're typing in coherent sentences. It's BEAUTIFUL!
[Off Topic]
Personally I've always had trouble not typing complete sentences, so the incoherent mess you oft see erks me to no end.
[/Off Topic]
"But what makes the DF community so..."
When you troll you go looking for people to piss off and watch them go off in a tangent of obscenities, yes? Well, why would you do that when you could just go play DF, torture many people senseless, and intigate slughter? The answer is: If you got past the Learning Cliff to find the community you must enjoy the game. And if you love the game and you know it requires alot of patience, then the community must have a great deal. There's little reason to troll people with insane patience unless you're a professional, which we do occassionaly get.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2011, 10:36:43 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah trolling is almost impossible here. Because anything you suggest to do in the game is either taken seriously and actually done by somebody, or the community provides an endless stream of posts on how to make the idea even better*, or it's already been done.

* denoting the inclusion of magma, and the exclusion of safety and/or sanity.

also check out the I love you thread in this general discussion, notice no one shot that down as being a useless thread.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 10:48:26 pm by darkrider2 »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]