Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No underground when genning a world?  (Read 581 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
No underground when genning a world?
« on: April 23, 2011, 07:51:29 am »

I want a world with just 2 or 3 zlevels beneath the surface so I can have a large embark size, is this possible and how?

Dantrithor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No underground when genning a world?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 09:05:16 am »

I assume you'd end up with a world consisting of molten rock and magma sea, and no useable rocks. You can tweak the "LAYERS_ABOVE..." stuff to change that, but I have never messed up with it. I though guess the results will be... interesting (that is, if you actually manage to generate a world with that kind of parameters, and living civilizations)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 10:59:53 am »

Well, I have a world with ~5 layers now but I cannot see what is below because my civ somehow has no pick, and starts with morningstars at embark...

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
  • It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 11:13:09 am »

I want a world with just 2 or 3 zlevels beneath the surface so I can have a large embark size, is this possible and how?

I'm not sure what you mean. Z-levels and embark size are not related. Are you talking about better performance?
"That is the most amazing thing I have ever read ever."
- Friend's reaction to Bronzemurder

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 11:15:06 am »

Yes I was, and it worked.

@Dantrithor
I modded morning stars to use the miner skill so I can mine with them and there is nothing special beneath the stone

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 11:34:20 am »

set vulcanism to maximum and those "layer below" thingy to 0 or 1. I once got a world like you want, but it was just once. It was like 15z of usable rock+soil, 10 to get the 3 caverns and the rest was magma sea and stuff.

I never took note how i did what you want done because it was an accident, so it might be incorrect

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 12:07:12 pm »

I got down to min 20 levels. Still had 2 caverns on mine though. so drop out all the magma/bottom layer, caverns, minimize all level sizes, should get your about 12-15 i guess.

EDIT : HOLY CRAP!

I genned a world with ALL caverns off, no magma or bottom layers, min z-levels everywhere

AND THERE WAS ONLY ONE UNDERGROUND LEVEL.

Fancy that!

So it seems no undeground at all is doable, mostly.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 12:17:49 pm by Reelyanoob »

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 12:39:36 pm »

Guess you'll be building everything out of clay and glass with those worlds, but on the plus side easily accessible magma.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 12:47:57 pm »

Sorry there was no magma in the 1-z-level, so gotta add some tag back, will need at least a few z-levels for any magma I'd say

BTW, my murky pools go all the way to the bottom of the map ;) (lol - 1 z-level)

I don't know what a volcano would be like in this world. EDIT : tried to set high vulcanism and high min. volcanos. Worldgen doesn't complain, but the volcanos do not get created. Only have one below ground level in the new map too, so it's repeatable.

EDIT2 : Genned the world, just adding "magma layer". Now there's 9 levels below ground, with magma starting 5 levels below surface.

EDIT3 : Manually tried to lower z-levels below normal minimums, now I have a wierd map. There's an area below the magma sea that's not being shown by either DFhack or tweak's Reveal function! I simply MUST KNOW what is there!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 01:10:27 pm by Reelyanoob »

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 01:04:59 pm »

Hmm, what are mountains like? Sounds like you'll be forced to build on them for materials.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 01:11:23 pm »

Hmm, what are mountains like? Sounds like you'll be forced to build on them for materials.
There's some hills and stuff, this was copied from my fairly hilly worldgen settings.

EDIT : Ok just found a mountainous embark spot. The below ground here is 3-z-levels. Reveal also seems to be glitching on the lower levels, on at least two worlds genned with the minimal allowed levels. I'm embarking on 2x2. The first level belowground reveals normal, then only half (1x2 embark tiles) on the level below that, and only 1 quarter (1x1 embark tiles) on the bottom level are revealing.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 01:19:18 pm by Reelyanoob »

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 01:17:07 pm »

Turn off all underground levels, set all "levels above" to 0, except the top one ("levels above first cavern layer", I believe), set that to the number of levels you want.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 01:21:14 pm »

@blue sam : He wants no levels at all. Which is what I am looking into. (I got only 1 level with what you're suggesting, which was basically the underside of the ground level / brooks/pools etc) The concern now is the minimum levels you can have, and still get some Magma without cheating. I get '9' for that figure.

For the record, the minimum 5 levels above cavern 1 seems to be deactivated since I have no caverns at all, but seems reactivated when I added the magma sea back in. So if there's no underground features, "Levels above layer 1" may do nothing at all.

EDIT : Ditching magma sea, and trying "bottom layer" to see the effect. Will post results here. Ok - results - you get HFS and adamantine + magma. Min so far on 4 embarks was 15 z-levels below ground.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 01:55:08 pm by Reelyanoob »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 02:09:27 pm »

EDIT3 : Manually tried to lower z-levels below normal minimums, now I have a wierd map. There's an area below the magma sea that's not being shown by either DFhack or tweak's Reveal function! I simply MUST KNOW what is there!
If you've still got that map, try designating the entire bottommost level for digging, then undesignating it. Back in 40d, the reveal hacks only revealed tiles that were in memory, which included only A) blocks that had an underground feature in them and B) squares that had a designation at that z-level or below. It's probable that all of the underground stuff in 31.xx cause every tile to be loaded into memory instantly, so the reveal features work without the designation stuff, but you've got stuff below the lowest feature, so you've got to select then deselect to get it in memory.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!